Haemoglobinopathy Diagnosis, 2nd Edition
December 2005, Wiley-Blackwell
It provides a concise overview of the haemoglobinopathies and focuses on the selection, performance, and interpretation of relevant laboratory tests. The tests dealt with are mainly those done regularly in diagnostic haematology laboratories. Where more specialist tests are required, the reader is given an overview of what the specialist centre will do, with guidance on what the result will imply.
This book is extremely practical in orientation and is an essential reference volume in the haematology laboratory.
Haemoglobinopathy Diagnosis is ideal for:
- Trainees and residents in haematology
- Hematologists in practice
- Laboratory scientists
Why Buy This Book?
- New Edition - Fully updated, with 43 new pictures and 37 pages of illustrated clinical cases to use for teaching and self-evaluation
- Essential reference volume for the haematology laboratory
- Focuses on diagnosis
- Very practical in its approach
- In addition to the self-assessment case studies, contains "test your knowledge" sections at the end of every chapter
- Remarkably comprehensive for a compact book
Abbreviations and glossary.
1. Haemoglobin and the genetics of haemoglobin synthesis.
2. Laboratory techniques for the identification of abnormalities of globin chain synthesis.
3. α, β, δ, and γ thalassaemias and related conditions.
4. Sickle cell haemoglobin and its interactions with other variant haemoglobins and with thalassaemias.
5. Other significant haemoglobinopathies.
6. Acquired abnormalities of globin chain synthesis or haemoglobin structure.
7. Organization of a haemoglobinopathy diagnostic service.
8. Self-assessment - test cases.
- An update of a successful first edition, which proved popular with haematology trainees & consultants
- Will include a 15% increase in content, as well as an expanded case studies section from the first edition
- Focuses on diagnosis and practical applications
Contains "test your knowledge" sections as well as case studies and self-assessment
“It provides a concise overview of the haemoglobinopathies and focuses on the selection, performance, and interpretation of relevant laboratory tests.” (E-Pathology, 27 February 2014)"As you would expect from Barabara Bain there is a wealth of superb microscopy photographs for peripheral smear, bone marrow and trephine slides. This new edition has been updated with 43 new pictures. A particularly valuable text for students preparing to sit MRCPAth or Advanced Practitioner examinations."
Medical Laboratory World