Essential Animal Behavior
February 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
Written in a concise and engaging style, this new book:
- includes examples from both marine and terrestrial environments
around the world
- places current research alongside classic examples, and
- puts the study of animal behavior in an applied context, emphasizing the implications for animal welfare and animal conservation.
Carefully designed to meet the needs of students coming to the
subject for the first time, the book includes the following
- key concept boxes
- Focus on boxes
- chapter summaries
- guided reading to aid revision and further study
- case studies and boxed examples that reinforce essential
- questions for discussion.
This book is essential reading for degree-level students following modular programs in biology, zoology, marine biology, and psychology.
An Instructor manual CD-ROM for this title is available. Please contact our Higher Education team at HigherEducation@wiley.com for more information.
2. Controlling Behavior: The Role Of The Nervous System.
3. The Motivation And Organization Of Behavior.
4. The Development Of Behavior.
6. Foraging Behavior: Finding, Choosing, And Processing Food.
7. Avoiding Predation: Staying Alive Against The Odds.
8. Reproductive Behavior: Passing On Your Genes
- Coverage ranges from the genetic and neurobiological control of
behavior to the learning, development, and function of behavior in
an evolutionary context.
- Includes examples from both marine and terrestrial environments
around the world.
- Social behavior is covered throughout the text.
- Places current research alongside classic examples.
- Puts the study of animal behavior in an applied context,
emphasizing the implications of animal welfare and animal
- Includes carefully designed features to meet the needs of
students coming to the subject for the first time, such as key
concept boxes, chapter summaries, guided reading to aid revision
and further stugy, case studies and boxed examples to reinforce
essential points and questions for discussion.
- Essential reading for degree-level students following modular programs in biology, zoology, marine biology and psychology
Tim Birkhead, Sheffield University, UK <!--end-->
"Scott presents a fascinating subject in an arresting manner, condensing his material but not sacrificing detail." Times Higher Education Supplement, December 2005