Gastrointestinal Emergencies, 2nd Edition
December 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
When you are caring for a patient with a gastrointestinal
emergency – during a procedure or after emergency
stabilization – you can count on this updated reference to
supply the specific how-to guidance you need.
Written and edited by leading international experts in the
field, the second edition of Gastrointestinal Emergencies:
- now reflects the many diagnostic and therapeutic advances since
publication of the first edition
- covers the full range of gastrointestinal emergencies
encountered in daily clinical practice
- gives evidence-based approaches to the presentation, diagnosis,
investigation, and management of patients
- features the important contributions of new editor Roy Soetikno, Associate Professor of Medicine at the VA Health Care System, Palo Alto, California
All practitioners involved in gastrointestinal emergency care will find clear and succinct advice in this concise reference. Every Emergency Department and every endoscopy unit should keep a copy close at hand for quick reference.
1. Approach to Dysphagia (John Collins).
2. Approach to Vomiting (Bee Chan Lee, John Collins).
3. Approach to Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding (Patrick Allen, Tony Tham).
4. Approach to Acute Abdominal Pain (Tony Tham).
5. Approach to Jaundice (Tony Tham).
6. Acute Severe Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding (Tonya Kaltenbach, Roy Soetikno).
7. Diarrhea (John Collins).
Section 2: Complications of Gastrointestinal Procedures.
8. Complications of Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (Reza Shaker, Colm O`Loughlin).
9. Complications of Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (Freddy Vandenbussche, Jo Vandervoort).
10. Complications of Variceal Sclerotherapy, Ligation and Balloon Tamponade (Yan Zhong, Stefan Seewald, Nib Soehendra).
11. ERCP Complications (Victor Chen, Richard Wong).
12. Complications of Laparoscopic Surgery (Stephen Attwood).
13. Liver biopsy (Ramsey Cheung).
14. Complications of Colonoscopy (Sybile Van Lierde, Jo Vandervoort).
15. Capsule Endoscopy Complications (Ma. Cecilia Sison, Andres Sanchez Yagüe, Kenneth Binmoeller, Roy Soetikno).
16. Endoscopic Ultrasound Complications (Ma. Cecilia Sison, Andres Sanchez Yagüe, Kenneth Binmoeller, Roy Soetikno).
Section 3: Specific Conditions.
17. Foreign Body Impaction in the Esophagus (George Triadafilopoulos).
18. Esophageal Perforation (Peter Siersema).
19. Perforation of the GI tract (John Moorehead, Ian McAllister).
20. Intestinal Obstruction (Andrew Crumley, Robert Stuart).
21. Management of Acute Upper Non-Variceal Gastrointestinal Haemorrhage (Kelvin Palmer).
22. Acute Pancreatitis (David Lichtenstein).
23. Biliary Emergencies (David Carr-Locke, Bhavani Moparty).
24. Variceal Hemorrhage (Yan Zhong, Stefan Seewald, Nib Soehendra).
25. Acute Liver Failure (Aijaz Ahmed, Emmet Keeffe).
26. Management of Ascites and Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis (Andrés Cárdenas, Pere Ginès).
27. Alcoholic Hepatitis (David Patch).
28. Acute Appendicitis (John Moorehead, Ian McAllister).
29. Ischemic Bowel (Shai Friedland, Roy Soetikno).
30. Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Subrata Ghosh).
31. Infectious Diarrhea (John Collins, Graham Morrison).
32. Diverticular Disease (Tonya Kaltenbach, Roy Soetikno).
33. Gastrointestinal Complications of HIV Disease (Wallace Dinsmore, Afshin Nasoodi).
Dr John Collins graduated from The Queen's University of
Belfast in 1976. His postgraduate training in gastroenterology and
internal medicine was completed in the RAF Medical Services, the
Northern Ireland Deanery and in the Medical College of Wisconsin.
He was appointed as Consultant Gastroenterologist to the Royal
Victoria Hospital, Belfast in 1990. He has research interests in H
pylori, GORD and small bowel capsule endoscopy. He is a Past
President of the Irish Society of Gastroenterolgy and is currently
Secretary of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.
Roy Soetikno, MD, was promoted to associate professor of
medicine (gastroenterology and hepatology) at the Veterans Affairs
Palo Alto Health Care System through February 2008. He is a leader
in advanced therapeutic endoscopy and endoscopic ultrasonography.
He specializes in performing endoscopic surgery of early
gastrointestinal cancer. Soetikno is chief of the endoscopy unit at
the VA and associate chief of the gastrointestinal section.
His educational background includes engineering, epidemiology, gastroenterology and technical expertise in endoscopy. Soetikno has an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering from Washington University (1985), a medical degree from the University of Chicago (1990) and a graduate degree in health sciences research from Stanford (1996). He later completed clinical and research fellowships in gastroenterology at Stanford, an advanced therapeutic endoscopy fellowship at Harvard and a fellowship in ultrasound and gastrointestinal oncology at UC-Irvine. He became an assistant professor at Stanford in 1999.
● A practical, up-to-date guide and immediate reference for the physician or surgeon in the management of commonly presenting GI emergencies
● Comprises three sections using the symptom based approach, which gives a quick overview of the initial presenting complaint followed by detailed sections on specific problems
● Covers procedures for avoiding and managing specific conditions, particularly difficulties after endoscopy procedures – including the latest techniques
● Clear and succinct advice relevant to those in specialist gastroenterology areas, and those working on general medicine and surgical units
Reviews on 1st edition:
"This book [...] educates the uninitiated that there are many emergencies associated with the gastrointestinal tract and that these may present to either physicians or surgeons." (Emergency Medicine Journal, 18 523)
"This book provides clear and succinct advice and should be made readily available to those working on general medical and surgical units." (Ulster Medical Journal, 72 (2) pp129 November 2003)
Gastrointestinal Emergencies, 2nd Edition (US $94.95)
-and- Textbook of Gastroenterology, 2 Volume Set, 5th Edition (US $645.00)
Total List Price: US $739.95
Discounted Price: US $554.96 (Save: US $184.99)