Asian American Studies After Critical Mass
April 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
This book can be used in conjunction with the Blackwell Companion to Asian American Studies.
Asian American Studies in Its Second Phase: Kent A. Ono (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign).
PART I: Representations.
1 What is the Political? American Culture and the Example of Viet Nam: Viet Nguyen (University of Southern California).
2 Ethnography, the Cinematic Apparatus, and Asian American Film Studies: Peter Feng (University of Delaware).
3 Culinary Fictions: Immigrant Foodways and Race in Indian American Literature: Anita Mannur (Wesleyan University).
PART II: Identities.
4 Foregrounding Native Nationalisms: A Critique of Anti-Nationalist Sentiment in Asian American Studies: Candace Fujikane (University of Hawaii).
5 A World Make-Over? An Asian American Queer Critique: Martin Manalansan IV (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign).
6 Asian American Studies Through (Somewhat) Asian Eyes: Integrating “Mixed Race” into the Asian American Discourse: Cynthia Nakashima (University of California at Berkeley).
PART III: Disciplines and Methodologies.
7 Asian American Studies and the “Pacific Question”: J. Kehaulani Kauanui (Wesleyan University).
8 Planet Youth: Asian American Youth Cultures, Citizenship, and Globalization: Sunaina Maira (University of California, Davis).
9 The Problematics of History and Location of Filipino American Studies within Asian American Studies: Helen Toribio (San Francisco State University).
10 Rethinking Asian American Victimhood: Understanding the Complexity of Race and Citizenship in America: Taro Iwata (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign).
- Contains ten original essays pointing to new directions in Asian American Studies
- Contributors are drawn from an expert group of international scholars
- Includes coverage of film, popular culture, globalization, citizenship, and queer studies
- Features a useful introduction by the editor reviewing the origins of the subject, and outlines future possibilities for the field
- Can be used alongside A Companion to Asian American Studies, edited by Kent A. Ono, for a complete reference to Asian American Studies.