Protestants: A History from Wittenberg to Pennsylvania 1517 - 1740
October 2010, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
Protestants: A History from Wittenberg to Pennsylvania, 1517-1740 presents a comprehensive thematic history of the rise and influence of the branches of Christianity that emerged out of the Protestant Reformation.
- Represents the only English language single-volume survey of the rise of early modern Protestantism from its Lutheran beginnings in Germany to its spread to America
- Offers a thematic approach to Protestantism by tracing its development within the social, political, and cultural context of early modern Europe
- Introduces innovative argument that the central dynamic of Protestantism was not its struggle with Catholicism but its own inner dynamic
- Breaks from traditional scholarship by arguing that the rise of Reformation Protestantism lasted at least two centuries
- Unites Old World and New World Protestant histories