Critical Pedagogy and Race
February 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: Paperback
Foreword (Zeus Leonardo).
Introduction—‘Racism’ and ‘New Racism’: The contours of racial dynamics in contemporary America (Eduardo Bonna-Silva).
1. The Color of Supremacy: Beyond the discourse of ‘white privilege’ (Zeus Leonardo).
2. Whiteness and Critical Pedagogy (Ricky Lee Allen).
3. Maintaining Social Justice Hopes within Academic Realities: A Freirean approach to critical race/LatCrit pedagogy (Daniel G. Solorzano and Tara J. Rosso).
4. The Social Construction of Difference and the Quest for Educational Equality (James A. Banks).
5. Anti-racism: From policy to praxis (David Gillborn).
6. Critical Race Theory, Afrocentricity, and their Relationship to Critical Pedagogy (Marvin Lynn).
7. Class Dismissed? Historical materialism and the politics of ‘difference’ (Valerie Scatamburlo-D’Annibale and Peter McLaren).
8. Actions Following Words: Critical race theory connects to critical pedagogy (Laurence Parker and David O. Stovall).
9. Race, Class, and Gender in Education Research: Surveying the political terrain (Michele Foster).
10. An Apartheid of Knowledge in Academia: The struggle over the ‘legitimate’ knowledge of faculty of color (Delores Delgado Bernal and Octavio Villalpando).
11 Postcolonial Literature and the Curricular Imagination: Wilson Harris and the pedagogical implications of the carnivalesque (Cameron McCarthy and Greg Dimitriadis).
Notes on Contributors.