Premodern Places: Calais to Surinam, Chaucer to Aphra Behn
May 2006, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
- A highly original work, which recovers the places that figure powerfully in premodern imagining.
- Recreates places that appear in the works of Langland, Chaucer, Dante, Petrarch, Spenser, Shakespeare, Aphra Behn, and many others.
- Begins with Calais – peopled by the English from 1347 to 1558 and ends with Surinam – traded for Manhattan by the English in 1667.
- Other particular locations discussed include Flanders, Somerset, Genoa, and the Fortunate Islands (Canary Islands).
- Includes fascinating anecdotes, such as the story of an English merchant learning love songs in Calais.
- Provides insights into major historical narratives, such as race and slavery in Renaissance Europe.
- Crosses the traditional divide between the medieval and Renaissance periods.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Premodern Places: Calais to Surinam, Chaucer to Aphra Behn (US $45.95)
-and- An Introduction to Criticism: Literature - Film - Culture (US $36.95)
Total List Price: US $82.90
Discounted Price: US $62.17 (Save: US $20.73)