12 Modern Philosophers
February 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
- Draws on essays from well-known scholars, including Thomas Baldwin, Catherine Wilson, Adrian Moore and Lori Gruen
- Locates the authors and their oeuvre within the context of the discipline as a whole
- Considers how contemporary philosophy both draws from, and contributes to, the broader intellectual and cultural milieu
Notes on Contributors.
Introduction (Christopher Belshaw, Open University and Gary Kemp, University of Glasgow).
1. Quine (A. W. Moore, University of Oxford).
2. Rawls (Thomas Baldwin, University of York).
3. Davidson (Ernie Lepore, Rutgers University and Kirk Ludwig, University of Florida).
4. Williams (Catherine Wilson, City University of New York).
5. Rorty (Alan Malachowski, University of East Anglia).
6. Fodor (José Luis Bermúdez, Washington University, St Louis).
7. Nagel (Sonia Sedivy, University of Toronto).
8. Kripke (Alexander Bird, University of Bristol).
9. Nozick (A. R. Lacey).
10. Parfit (Jacob Ross, University of Southern California).
11. McDowell (Marie McGinn, University of York).
12. Singer (Lori Gruen, Wesleyan University).
Gary Kemp is Senior Lecturer in the Philosophy Department at the University of Glasgow. He works in the philosophy of logic and language, on Frege, Russell, Quine and Davidson, and on aesthetics and philosophical themes in literature. He is the author of Quine: A Guide for the Perplexed (2005) and, with Tracy Bowell, of Critical Thinking: A Concise Guide (2002, 2005, 2009).
- Brings together a collection of profiles on current and recent philosophers working in the analytic tradition
- Philosophers covred include Quine, Davidson, Rorty, Kripke, Nozick, Rawls, Williams, Nagel, Parfit, Singer, Fodor, Searle, McDowell, Putnam and Dummett
- The team of international contributors are themselves established and well-known philosophers
- Goes beyond many introductions to analytic philosophy by exploring a broad range of figures and a spectrum of their work, rtaher than focusing on a single text
"This book was a superb idea and has been superbly done." Brad Hooker, University of Reading
"This engaging collection of incisive and lucid essays on twelve major contemporary contributors to the subject elegantly delivers a synoptic view that, in making this work readily comprehensible to the non-specialist without a hint of oversimplification, shows philosophy for what it is at its best: enlivening, stimulating, exacting, and – true to the promise of its Socratic origins – ever capable of provocatively unsettling the otherwise unexamined presumptions that would blind us to life’s absorbing complexities. Informative, illuminating reading." Garry L. Hagberg, University of East Anglia
12 Modern Philosophers (US $107.95)
-and- Cannabis - Philosophy for Everyone: What Were We Just Talking About? (US $20.95)
Total List Price: US $128.90
Discounted Price: US $96.67 (Save: US $32.23)