A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics (The Language Library)
June 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
- Includes in excess of 5,100 terms, grouped into over 3,000 entries
- Coverage reflects recommendations by a team of experts in phonetics, phonology, syntax, semantics, sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics, making it exceptionally comprehensive
- Incorporates new ideas stemming from the minimalist program
- Contains a separate table of abbreviations and table of symbols, along with an updated International Phonetic Alphabet
- Updates entries to reflect the way established terms are now perceived in light of changes in the field, providing a unique insight into the historical development of linguistics
- Remains the standard single-volume reference for the field of linguistics and phonetics.
List of Abbreviations.
List of Symbols.
The International Phonetic Alphabet.
"Much more than a dictionary, this impressive work of judicious
scholarship is virtually a course of instruction in the wide range
of studies of language. It cannot fail to be of great value to
professionals, students, and the general interested public."
—Noam Chomsky, Massachusetts Institute of Technology