Science and the Garden: The Scientific Basis of Horticultural Practice, 2nd Edition
June 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
—John MacLeod, RHS Professor of Horticulture
Most conventional gardening books concentrate on how and when to carry out horticultural tasks such as pruning, seed sowing and taking cuttings. This book is unique in explaining in straightforward terms some of the science that underlies these practices. It is principally a book of 'Why' – Why are plants green? Why should one cut beneath a leaf node when taking cuttings? Why do plants need so much water? But it also goes on to deal with the 'How', providing rationale behind the practical advice.
The coverage is wide-ranging and comprehensive and includes the basic structure and functioning of garden plants, nomenclature, genetics and plant breeding, soil management, environmental factors affecting growth, methods of propagation and production, pest and disease control, post harvest management and storage, and conservation and sustainable horticulture.
Now with full colour throughout, the second edition provides the reader with:
- Completely revised and updated chapters from the first edition, with new information and clearer focus on the topics
- Four new chapters, dealing with matters that have become of increasing concern since the first edition, namely: Diversity in the Plant World; Conservation and Sustainable Gardening; Gardens and the Natural World; and Gardens for Science
Published on behalf of the Royal Horticultural Society, this book remains a key text for those sitting RHS examinations, particularly at levels 2 and 3; it will also appeal to gardeners, growers and scientists.
- Bestselling essential text for all horticulture students
- Edited and written by a group of highly regarded scientists
- Covers the scientific information of greatest importance to gardeners and horticulturists
- Jargon-free scientific explanations, a comprehensive glossary, and copious colour illustrations
Royalties from the sale of this book go towards the charitable work of the RHS, promoting horticulture and helping gardeners. www.rhs.org.uk
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Science and the Garden: The Scientific Basis of Horticultural Practice, 2nd Edition (US $59.95)
-and- Plant Breeding: The Arnel R. Hallauer International Symposium (US $209.95)
Total List Price: US $269.90
Discounted Price: US $202.42 (Save: US $67.48)