The Savage Text: The Use and Abuse of the Bible
October 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Part I: What Is “The Savage Text”?
1. The “Savage Text”?
The Bible as an Idol?
The Manifesto of “The Savage Text”
The Argument of the Book.
2. “Vile Affections”: The Bible and Homosexuality.
Morality or Ideology?
A Guidebook for Sexual Behavior?
A Man Needs a Woman?
When is Exegesis Homophobic?
Part II: The Savage Text at Work.
3. “Cursed by Canaan!”: The Bible, Racism, and Slavery.
The Bible and Racism.
The Bible and Slavery.
Reading the Bible after Slavery.
4. “The Great Day of Wrath”: The Bible and the End.
“Man of War” or “Prince of Peace”?
“Rapture” or Rupture?
Great Tribulation or American Tribalism?
5. “Take Now Thy Son”: The Bible and Children.
Jesus and Children.
Putting Jesus First.
6. “Thou Shalt Not Suffer a Witch to Live”: The Bible, Jews, and Women.
The Bible and Anti-Semitism.
The Bible and Misogyny.
Learning from the Legacy?
Part III: Beyond the Text: Faith in the Triune God.
7. Faith in the Book or Faith in God?
The Scripture Principle.
Hooker and the Middle Way.
“Lost Christianities” and New “Heresies”
8. On Not Being a “People of the Book”
The Personalization of the Book.
“Dis-solving” the Problem of Authority.
Some Principles for a Peaceful Reading of the Bible.
Index of Scriptural Citations.