The Cultural Foundations of Nations: Hierarchy, Covenant, and Republic
March 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This major new work by Professor Anthony D. Smith challenges the notion of nationalism as a product of modernity.
- Major new work by a leading historical sociologist
- Challenges the prevailing idea of nationalism as a product of modernity
- Demonstrates that different political forms of community and collective identity from pre-modern times have contributed to the formation and character of nations
- Analyzes the chronology and nature of nations, from the ancient world, to the European Middle Ages, the early modern, and the modern eras
- Discusses alternative destinies facing modern nations today