Statistics at Square One, 11th Edition
October 2009, BMJ Books
Revised throughout, the 11th edition features new material in the areas of
- relative risk, absolute risk and numbers needed to treat
- diagnostic tests, sensitivity, specificity, ROC curves
- free statistical software
The popular self-testing exercises at the end of every chapter are strengthened by the addition of new sections on reading and reporting statistics and formula appreciation.
Chapter 1 Data display and summary.
Chapter 2 Summary statistics for quantitative data.
Chapter 3 Summary statistics for binary data.
Chapter 4 Populations and samples.
Chapter 5 Statements of probability and confidence intervals.
Chapter 6 P-values, power, type I and type II errors.
Chapter 7 The t tests.
Chapter 8 The χ2 tests.
Chapter 9 Diagnostic tests.
Chapter 10 Rank score tests.
Chapter 11 Correlation and regression.
Chapter 12 Survival analysis.
Chapter 13 Study design and choosing a statistical test.
Chapter 14 Use of computer software.
Answers to exercises.
Glossary of statistical terms.
- One of the bestselling introductions to medical statistics of all time
- Revised throughout, especially in the areas of binary data to deal with relative risk, absolute risk and the evidence-based criteria of numbers needed to treat
- Each chapter now has a section on reading and reporting statistics, and self testing at the end of each section makes this an ideal learning tool
"The utility of such a book to clinicians and practicing biostatisticians cannot be overemphasized.... Unique in terms of its simplicity of presentation.... A great reference book for use by clinicians, medical practitioners, and practicing biostatisticians. Highly recommended to beginners in biostatistics." (Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics, Summer 2009)