Terror and the Postcolonial: A Concise Companion
October 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
Introduction: Terror and the Postcolonial (Elleke Boehmer and Stephen Morton, University of Oxford and University of Southampton).
Part I: Theories of Colonial and Postcolonial Terror:
1. The Colony: Its Guilty Secret and Its Accursed Share (Achille Mbembe, University of Wiwatersrand).
2. Vanishing Points: Law, Violence, and Exception in the Global War Prison (Derek Gregory, University of British Columbia).
3. The White Fear Factor (Vron Ware, Open University).
4. Sacrificial Militancy and the Wars around Terror (Alex Houen, University of Sheffield).
5. Postcolonial Writing and Terror (Elleke Boehmer, University of Oxford).
Part II: Histories of Post/colonial Terror:
6. Revolutionary Terrorism in British Bengal (Peter Heehs, Independent Scholar).
7. Excavating Histories of Terror: Thugs, Sovereignty, and the Colonial Sublime (Alex Tickell, University of Portsmouth).
8. Terrorism, Literature, and Sedition in Colonial India (Stephen Morton, University of Southampton).
9. Israel in the US Empire (Bashir Abu-Manneh, Barnard College).
10. The Poetics of State Terror in Twenty-first-century Zimbabwe (Ranka Primorac, University of Southampton).
11. The Mediation of "Terror": Authority, Journalism, and the Stockwell Shooting (Stuart Price, De Montfort University).
Part III: Genres of Terror:
12. Terror Effects (Robert J. C. Young, New York University).
13. "Gendering" Terror: Representations of the Female "Freedom Fighter" in Contemporary Sri Lankan Literature and Cultural Production (Neluka Silva, University of Colombo).
14. Terror, Spectacle, and the Secular State in Bombay Cinema (Sujala Singh, University of Southampton).
15. "The age of reason was over . . . an age of fury was dawning": Contemporary Fiction and Terror (Robert Eaglestone. University of London).
16. Bodies of Terror: Performer and Witness (Emma Brodzinski, University of London).