Exploring Greek Myth
April 2012, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: Paperback
Exploring Greek Myth offers an extensive discussion of variant forms of myths and lesser-known stories, including important local myths and local versions of PanHellenic myths. Clark also discusses approaches to understanding myths, allowing students to gain an appreciation of the variety in one volume.
- Guides students from an introductory understanding of myths to a wide-ranging exploration of current scholarly approaches on mythology as a social practice and as an expression of thought
- Written in an informal conversational style appealing to students by an experienced lecturer in the field
- Offers extensive discussion of variant forms of myths and many lesser known, but deserving, stories
- Investigates a variety of approaches to the study of myth including: the sources of our knowledge of Greek myth, myth and ritual in ancient Greek society, comparative myth, myth and gender, hero cult, psychological interpretation of myth, and myth and philosophy
- Includes suggestions in each chapter for essays and research projects, as well as extensive lists of books and articles for further reading
- The author draws on the work of many leading scholars in the field in his exploration of topics throughout the text