A Companion to Henry James
March 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: Hardcover
Chronology of Henry James’s Life and Work.
Part I: Fiction and Non-Fiction.
1. “Bad Years in the Matrimonial Market”: James’s Shorter Fiction 1865–1878 (Clair Hughes (retired)).
2. What Daisy Knew: Reading Against Type in Daisy Miller: A Study (Sarah Wadsworth, Marquette University).
3. Growing Up Absurd: The Search for Self in Henry James’s The American (Wendy Graham, Vassar College).
4. Vital Illusions in The Portrait of a Lady (Peter Rawlings, University of the West of England).
5. The Bostonians and the Crisis of Vocation (Sarah B. Daugherty, Wichita State University).
6. “The Abysses of Silence” in The Turn of the Screw (Kimberly C. Reed, Lipscomb University).
7. On Maisie’s Knowing Her Own Mind (Robert B. Pippin, University of Chicago).
8. “What woman was ever safe?” Dangerous Constructions of Womanhood in The Ambassadors (Anna Despotopoulou, University of Athens).
9. Unwrapping the Ghost: The Design Behind Henry James’s The Wings of the Dove (Evelyne Ender, City University of New York).
10. Truth, Knowledge, and Magic in The Golden Bowl (Sigi Jöttkandt, Jan van Eyck Academy).
11. Henry James and the (Un)Canny American Scene (Gert Buelens, Ghent University).
12. Revisitings and Revisions in the New York Edition of the Novels and Tales of Henry James (Philip Horne, University College London).
13. What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Love: Henry James’s Last Words (Michael Anesko, Pennsylvania State University).
14. Henry James, Cultural Critic (Pierre A. Walker, Salem State College).
15. Timeliness and Henry James’s Letters (Greg W. Zacharias, Creighton University).
Part II: Contexts for Reading Henry James.
16. A Brief Biography of Henry James (Jennifer Eimers, University of Georgia).
17. Jamesian Matter (Bill Brown, University of Chicago).
18. Henry James and the Sexuality of Literature: Before and Beyond Queer Theory (Natasha Hurley, University of Alberta).
19. Exuberance and the Spaces of Inept Instruction: Robert Baden-Powell’s Scouting for Boys and Henry James’s The Art of the Novel (Denis Flannery, University of Leeds).
20. Nothing Personal: Women Characters, Gender Ideology, and Literary Representation (Donatella Izzo, Università di Napoli “L’Orientale”).
21. The Others: Henry James’s Family (Linda Simon, Skidmore College).
22. Beyond the Rim: Camp Henry James (Jonathan Warren, York University, Toronto).
23. Henry James and the United States (John Carlos Rowe, University of Southern California).
24. Henry James and Britain: Nicola Bradbury (University of Reading).
25. Henry James in France (Julie Wolkenstein, Caen Basse-Normandie University).
26. Henry James and Italy (Rosella Mamoli Zorzi, University of Venice).
27. Henry James in the Public Sphere (Richard Salmon, University of Leeds).
28. James and Film (Susan M. Griffin, University of Louisville).