The New Blackwell Companion to the Sociology of Religion
March 2010, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: Hardcover
Introduction: Mapping the Sociology of Religion (Bryan S. Turner, City University of New York).
Part I: The Foundations.
1. The Sociology of Religion: The Foundations (Andrew McKinnon, University Aberdeen).
2. Durkheim and After: Religion, Culture, and Politics (William Ramp, University of Lethbridge).
3. The Functional Theory of Religion (Victor Lidz, Drexel University).
4. Recent Developments in the Anthropology of Religion (Simon Coleman, University of Sussex).
Part II: From Secularization to Resacralization.
5. Secularization (Steve Bruce, Formerly University of Aberdeen).
6. American Exceptionalism? (John Torpey, City University of New York).
7. Resacralization (Grace Davie, University of Exeter).
Part III: New Developments.
8. Rational Choice and the Sociology of Religion (David Lehmann, University of Cambridge).
9. The Religious Habitus: Embodiment, Religion, and Sociological Theory (Philip A. Mellor, University of Leeds; Chris Shilling, University of Kent).
10. Women, Religions, and Feminisms (Fang-Long Shih, London School of Economics).
Part IV: Institutionalization: Old and New Forms.
11. New Research on Megachurches: Non-denominationalism and Sectarianism (Stephen Ellingson, Hamilton College).
12. The Sociology of Spirituality: Reflections on a Problematic Endeavor (Matthew Wood, Queen’s University).
13. Arguing against Darwinism: Religion, Science, and Public Morality (Michael S. Evans and John H. Evans, both University of California).
Part V: Sociology of Comparative Religions.
14. The Sociology of Early Christianity: From History to Theory, and Back Again (Joseph M. Bryant, University of Toronto).
15. Judaism: Covenant, Pluralism, and Piety (Alan Mittleman, Jewish Theological Seminary).
16. Sociology and Anthropology of Islam: A Critical Debate (Gabriele Marranci, National University of Singapore).
17. Approaches to the Study of Buddhism (Catherine Newell, formerly University of London).
18. Sociology of Hinduism (Pratap Kumar Penumala, University of KwaZulu Natal).
19. Religious Awakening in China under Communist Rule: A Political Economy Approach (Fenggang Yang, Purdue University).
20. Native American Religious Traditions: A Sociological Approach (Dennis F. Kelley, Iowa State University).
Part VI: Globalization.
21. Globalization and the Sociology of Religion (Lionel Obadia, University of Lyon 2).
22. Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements in a Global Perspective (Afe Adogame, University of Edinburgh).
23. Fundamentalism (Richard T. Antoun, State University of New York).
24. Religion, Media, and Globalization (Jeremy Stolow, Concordia University).
25. Toward a Sociology of Religious Commodification (Pattana Kitiarsa, National University of Singapore).
26. Women and Piety Movements (Rachel Rinaldo, University of Virginia).
27. Religion and Nationalism: A Critical Re-examination (Geneviève Zubrzycki, University of Michigan).
Part VII: The Future of Religion.
28. The Future of Religion (Andrew Wernick, Trent University).
29. Religion in a Post-secular Society (Bryan S. Turner, City University of New York).