Equine Back Pathology: Diagnosis and Treatment
November 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
The book is divided into sections covering:
- the normal anatomy and kinematics of the horse’s back
- the approach to investigating suspected back pathology
- diagnosis and treatment of specific conditions
- back pathology in specific sporting disciplines
- complementary therapy and rehabilitation
This book is a vital tool for those engaged in improving the diagnosis and management of all horses with back problems.
1. The Normal Anatomy of the Osseous Structures.
2. The Normal Anatomy of the Soft Tissue Structures of the Thoraco-Lumbar Spine.
3. The Normal Anatomy of the Soft Tissue Structures of the Pelvis.
5. Kinematics of the Equine Back.
Section 2 The Investigation Of Back Pathology.
6. The Clinical Examination.
7. The Neurological Examination.
9. Nuclear Scintigraphy.
10. Ultrasonography of the Thoracolumbar Region.
11. Ultrasonography of the Lumbosacral Spine and Pelvis.
Section 3 The Diagnosis And Treatment Of Specific Conditions.
14. Over-Riding Dorsal Spinous Processes.
16. Muscle Disease.
17. Supraspinous Ligament and Dorsal-Sacro-Iliac Ligament Desmitis.
18. Sacro-Iliac Dysfunction.
Section 4 Back Pathology in Specific Disciplines.
19. Dressage Horses.
Section 5 Complementary Therapy And Rehabilititation.
23. Complementary Therapies in the Treatment of Back Pain.
24. Integrative Therapies in the Treatment of Back Pain.
and lectures to other equine veterinary surgeons on the back. Dr Henson has an active research group working on equine cartilage and repair, and is a RCVS Specialist in Equine Surgery (Orthopaedics).
- The first book devoted to the conditions and problems of the
equine back and pelvis.
- Brings together the most recent research and aims to improve
diagnosis and management of all horses with back problems.
- Incorporates coverage of complementary therapy and
- Comprehensive reference written by a team of international experts.
The textbook is well organized and clearly written. One outstanding feature of this textbook is the illustrations, with beautiful diagrams and photographs of diagnostic images and horses with specific conditions. The figures are representative of points made in the text. The price is reasonable when considering the high quality of this publication." (Vet Med Today, August 2010)
“There is no other single source of this much information on the equine back. It is well worth the investment to have available in one book the vast array of information this provides.” (Doody’s, April 2010)
"This textbook appears to fill a unique niche in veterinary medicine because I am not aware of other textbooks with similar content. One outstanding feature of this textbook is the illustrations, with beautiful diagrams and photographs of diagnostic images and horses with specific conditions. The figures are representative of points made in the text." (JAVMA, June 2010)
"Overall, for the equine clinician this is an extremely useful, clear and concise book, which should be available in all equine practices. It fulfils my original hopes by clarifying and giving structure to the examination and thought processes involved, and providing a resource of all relevant information in one place." (The Bulletin of the Royal College of Pathologists, July 2010)
“It should prove to be an excellent reference for any practitioner when they get the inevitable call to examine a horse with back pain.” ( Veterinary Times, October 2009)