Theories in Social Psychology
March 2011, Wiley-Blackwell
- The only current book focusing specifically on the theories within social psychology
- Brings together a range of distinguished scholars in the field of social psychology – including Bertram F. Malle, Paul R. Nail, Richard E. Petty, Thomas Mussweiler, Faye J. Crosby, Miles Hewstone, Richard J. Crisp and Mein Koslowsky
- Critically discusses important perspectives and theories in the discipline allowing a deeper understanding of the theoretical framework
- Allows students and academics to reflect on theories and opens up future areas of enquiry
Part I: Social Cognition:
1. Toward Freedom: Reactance Theory Revisited (Derek Chadee, University of the West Indies, St. Augustine).
2. Inconsistency in Cognition: Cognitive Dissonance (Paul R. Nail and Kurt A. Boniecki, University of Central Arkansas).
3. Attribution Theories: How People Make Sense of Behavior (Bertram F. Malle, Brown University).
4. The Elaboration Likelihood Model of Persuasion: Thoughtful and Non-Thoughtful Social Influence (Benjamin C. Wagner and Richard E. Petty, Ohio State University).
Part II: Social Comparison:
5. Social Comparison: Motives, Standards, and Mechanisms (Katja Corcoran, Jan Crusius, and Thomas Mussweiler, University of Cologne).
6. Relative Deprivation: Understanding the Dynamics of Discontent (Jenny Carrillo, Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, Alexandra F. Corning, University of Notre Dame, Tara C. Dennehy, San Francisco State University, and Faye J. Crosby, University of California, Santa Cruz).
Part III: Social Reinforcement:
7. Evaluating Fairness: Critical Assessment of Equity Theory (Denise M. Polk, West Chester University of Pennsylvania).
8. Interdependence in Social Interaction (Ann C. Rumble, Ohio University-Chillicothe).
Part IV: Self:
9. Self-Categorization and Social Identification: Making Sense of Us and Them (Katharina Schmid, Miles Hewstone, New College, University of Oxford), and Ananthi Al Ramiah, University of Oxford).
10. Social Categorization Theories: From Culture to Cognition (Richard J. Crisp, University of Kent and Angela T. Maitner, University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates).
11. Symbolic Interactionism: From Gestalt to Cybernetics (Andreas Schneider, Texas Tech University).
12. Impression Management: Influencing Perceptions of Self (Meni Koslowsky and Shani Pindek, Bar-Ilan University).
Theories in Social Psychology (US $63.95)
Total List Price: US $109.90
Discounted Price: US $80.17 (Save: US $29.73)