ABC of COPD, 2nd Edition
January 2011, BMJ Books
The second edition of the ABC of COPD provides the entire multidisciplinary team with a reliable, up-to-date and accessible account of COPD. Extensively updated by experienced clinicians - including new chapters on spirometry, inhalers, oxygen, death, dying and end of life issues - this ABC is an authoritative and practical guide for general practitioners, practice nurses, specialist nurses, medical students, paramedical staff, junior doctors, non-specialist doctors and all other health professionals working in both primary and secondary care.
1. Definition, epidemiology and risk factors (Graham S Devereux).
2. Pathology and pathogenesis (William MacNee).
3. Diagnosis (Graeme P. Currie and Mahendran Chetty).
4. Spirometry (David Bellamy).
5. Smoking cessation (John R. Britton).
6. Non-pharmacological management (Graeme P. Currie and Graham Douglas).
7. Pharmacological management (I) (Graeme P. Currie and Brian J Lipworth).
8. Pharmacological management (II) (Graeme P. Currie and Brian J Lipworth).
9 Inhalers (Graeme P. Currie and Graham Douglas).
10. Oxygen (Graham Douglas and Graeme P. Currie).
11. Exacerbations (Graeme P. Currie and Wisia Wedzicha).
12. Ventilatory support (Paul Plant and Graeme P. Currie).
13. COPD in primary care (Cathy Jackson).
14. Death, dying and end of life issues (Gordon Linklater).
15. Future treatments (Peter Barnes).
"Of particular interest is helping general practitioners recognize and diagnose the disease at an earlier stage than is the general case now." (Reference and Research Book News, 1 April 2011)