Gender, Households, and Society: Unraveling the Threads of the Past and the Present
March 2010, Wiley-Blackwell
This volume demonstrates how archaeological data viewed through the lens of gender studies can lead researchers to question and reformulate current models of household organization, subsistence and craft production, ritual performance, and the structure of ancient states.
- Challenges existing models of prehistoric society that assume the existence of rigidly binary gender systems
- Part of the Archaeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association Series
2. Looking Beyond Gender Hierarchy: Rethinking Gender at Teotihuacan, Mexico (Kristin De Lucia).
3. Hearths, Grinding Stones, and Households: Rethinking Domestic Economy in the Andes (Robin Coleman Goldstein).
4. Breaking Down Binaries: Gender, Art, and Tools in Ancient Costa Rica (Theresa Preston-Werner).
5. Situating Power and Locating Knowledge: A Paleoethnobotanical Perspective on Late Classic Maya Gender and Social Relations (Christopher T. Morehart and Christophe G. B. Helmke).
6. Changing Responsibilities and Collective Action: Examining Early North African Pastoralism (Alexandra Miller).
7. Rethinking Polity Formation: A Gendered Perspective on Formative Period Household Development in the Pacific Coast Region of Guatemala (Ana S. Tejeda).
8. She Sells Seashells: Women and Mollusks in Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico (Dawn Pankonien).
9. Shaken, Not Stirred: The Revolution in Archaeology (K. Anne Pyburn).
List of Contributors.
Elizabeth M. Brumfiel is Professor of Anthropology at Northwestern University and a past president of the American Anthropological Association. She undertakes archaeological research at the hinterland Aztec site of Xaltocan, Mexico. Her research focuses on the dynamics of gender, class, and factional politics in ancient Mexico and changes that accompanied Aztec expansion.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Gender, Households, and Society: Unraveling the Threads of the Past and the Present (US $41.95)
-and- Beyond Belief: The Archaeology of Religion and Ritual (US $32.95)
Total List Price: US $74.90
Discounted Price: US $56.17 (Save: US $18.73)