Anthropology off the Shelf: Anthropologists on Writing
January 2011, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Notes on Contributors.
Foreword (Cheryl Mwaria).
1. Introduction: The Writer in the Anthropologist (Maria D. Vesperi and Alisse Waterston).
Part I: Conceptions.
2. Speaking Truth to Power with Books (Howard Zinn).
3. Remember When Writing Was Fun? Why Academics Should Go On a Low Syllable, Active Voice Diet (Karen Brodkin).
4. The Bard (Carolyn Nordstrom).
5. Saggin' and Braggin' (Lee D. Baker).
6. Stories for Readers: A Few Observations from Outside the Academy (Andrew Barnes).
Part II: Creations.
7. Writing Poverty, Drawing Readers: Stories in Love, Sorrow and Rage (Alisse Waterston).
8. Write‑ous Indignation: Black Girls, Dilemmas of Cultural Domination and the Struggle to Speak the Skin We Are In (Signithia Fordham).
9. Writing Truth to Power: Racism as Statecraft (Arthur K. Spears).
10. Remembering Octavia (Sharon Ball).
11. Believing in Anthropology as Literature (Ruth Behar).
Part III: Receptions.
12. Walking in Zora's Shoes or "Seek[ing] Out de Inside Meanin' of Words": The Intersections of Anthropology, Ethnography, Identity, and Writing (Irma McClaurin).
13. Off the Shelf and Into Oblivion? (Catherine Kingfisher).
14. "Don't Use Your Data as a Pillow" (S. Eben Kirksey).
15. The Trope of the Pith Helmet: America's Anthropology, Anthropology's America (Micaela di Leonardo).
16. The Book that Wrote Me (Roger Sanjek).
17. Fighting Words (Paul Farmer).
18. Taking Chances (Maria D. Vesperi).
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Anthropology off the Shelf: Anthropologists on Writing (US $36.95)
-and- Wall Street at War: The Secret Struggle for the Global Economy (US $14.95)
Total List Price: US $51.90
Discounted Price: US $38.92 (Save: US $12.98)