The History of English Spelling
September 2011, Wiley-Blackwell
- Includes a wealth of information and data on English spelling not available anywhere else
- Features a complementary website with additional material at www.historyofenglishspelling.info
- Includes detailed coverage of the contributions from French, Latin, Greek - and the many other languages - to our current orthography
- Serves as a companion volume to Geoffrey Hughes's A History of English Words in the same series
List of Tables.
Abbreviations and Symbols.
Language Periods Referred to in the Text.
1. Introduction and Overview.
2. England and English from the Romans to the Vikings.
3. The Old English Roots of Modern English Spelling.
4. The Decline and Revival of English in the Middle English Period.
5. The Franco-Latin Element.
6. Some Sound and Spelling Developments in Middle and Modern English.
7. The Greek Contribution.
8. The Exotic Input.
9. Reformers, Lexicographers and the Parting of the Ways.
Glossary of Technical Terms.
Word Index Subject and Author Index.
George Davidson is a freelance lexicographer, book compiler and editor. He has written several books on English grammar, usage, spelling, and vocabulary, such as How to Punctuate (2005) and Improve Your Spelling (2005), and has edited numerous books, including the 150th Anniversary Edition of Roget’s Thesaurus of English Words & Phrases (2002). He has formerly worked as a French teacher and lecturer in linguistics.