A History of Modern Drama, Volume I
August 2011, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: Hardcover
Covering the period 1879 to 1959, and taking in everything from Ibsen to Beckett, this book is volume one of a two-part comprehensive examination of the plays, dramatists, and movements that comprise modern world drama.
- Contains detailed analysis of plays and playwrights, connecting themes and offering original interpretations
- Includes coverage of non-English works and traditions to create a global view of modern drama
- Considers the influence of modernism in art, music, literature, architecture, society, and politics on the formation of modern dramatic literature
- Takes an interpretative and analytical approach to modern dramatic texts rather than focusing on production history
- Includes coverage of the ways in which staging practices, design concepts, and acting styles informed the construction of the dramas