A Companion to Sophocles
March 2012, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: Hardcover
A Companion to Sophocles presents the first comprehensive collection of essays in decades to address all aspects of the life, works, and critical reception of Sophocles.
- First collection of its kind to provide introductory essays to the fragments of his lost plays and to the remaining fragments of one satyr-play, the Ichneutae, in addition to each of his extant tragedies
- Features new essays on Sophoclean drama that go well beyond the current state of scholarship on Sophocles
- Presents readings that historicize Sophocles in relation to the social, cultural, and intellectual world of fifth century Athens
- Seeks to place later interpretations and adaptations of Sophocles in their historical context
- Includes essays dedicated to issues of gender and sexuality; significant moments in the history of interpreting Sophocles; and reception of Sophocles by both ancient and modern playwrights