Social Theory and the Politics of Identity
October 1994, Wiley-Blackwell
1. Social Theory and the Politics of Identity: Craig Calhoun (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill).
2. Reclaiming the Epistemological 'Other': Narrative and the Social Constitution of Identity: Margaret R. Somers and Gloria D. Gibson (University of Michigan).
3. Dark Thoughts about the Self: Charles Lemert (Wesleyan University).
4. The Politics of Identity in American History: Norbert Wiley (University of Illinois).
5. From Universality to Difference: Notes on the Fragmentation of the Idea of the Left: Todd Gitlin (University of California, Berkeley).
6. The Formation of We-Images: A Process Theory: Stephen Mennell (University College, Dublin).
7. Identity Theory, Identity Politics: Psychoanalysis, Marxism, Post-Structuralism: Eli Zaretsky (Newberry Library, Chicago).
8. Malcolm X and the Black Public Sphere: Conversionists vs. Culturalists: Manthia Diawara (New York University).
9. Redrawing the Urban Color Line: The State and Fate of the Ghetto in PostFordist America: Loic Wacquant (Russell Sage Foundation).
10. Emotions and Identity: A Theory of Ethnic Nationalism: Thomas Scheff (University of California, Santa Barbara).
11. Nationalism and Civil Society: Democracy, Diversity and Self-Determination: Craig Calhoun (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill).
*This groundbreaking volume is an excellent introduction to the debates around identity politics.