The Language of Children: Evolution and Development of Secondary Consciousness and Language, 2nd Edition
April 1997, ©1997, Wiley-Blackwell
2. The Signal Systems of Animals in the Wild.
3. Animals in Contact with People.
4. From Signals and Signalling to Syntactic Language and Communication.
5. The Prelinguistic Infant.
6. The One-Word Period.
7. The Linguistic System and Early Language Development.
8. The Communication Skills of Young Children.
9. Semantic Development.
11. Bilingualism and Second Language Learning.
* Very accessible textbook which includes suggested further readings, a glossy and comprehensive index.
"We...believe that this book could be used successfully in a lower level undergraduate class, particularly if a comparative perspective is desired." Stan A Kuczaj II and Heather M. Hill, University of Southern Mississippi