The Castoriadis Reader
July 1997, Wiley-Blackwell
1.'The Only Way to Find out If You Can Swim Is to Get into the Water.' An Introductiory Interview (1974).
2. Presentation of Socialisme ou Barbarie An Organ of Critique and Revolutionary Orienation (1949).
3. On the Content of Bureaucracy to the Idea of the Proletariat's Autonomy (1955). On the Content of Socialism, II (1957).
4. Recommencing the Revolution (1964).
5. Marxism and Revolutionary Theory (1964-65). Excerpts. Marxism: A Provisional Assessment. Theory and Revolutionary Project.
6. The Social Imaginary and the Institution (1975). Excerpt. The Social-Historical.
7. The Social Regime in Russia (1978).
8. From Ecology to Autonomy (1980).
9. The Crisis of Western Societies (1982).
10. The Greek Polis and the Creation of Democracy (1983).
11. The Logic of Magmas and the Question of Autonomy (1983).
12. Radical Imagination and the Social Instituting Imaginary (1994).
13. Culture in a Democratic Society (1994).
14. Psychoanalysis and Philosophy (1996).
15. Done and To Be Done (1989).
* Also presents hard-to-find texts previously only available in small specialist journals.
* Serves to provide an historical overview of the evolution of the author's views -- texts have been organised in chronological order.
* A final chapter features Castoriadis's responses to the critics and contains the author's forceful and thoughtful replies to 30 discussions of his life's work which were written by an international collection of scholars.
"When so many pay superficial tribute to false prophets, how
much better to pay serious attention to this true thinker."
Nicolas Walter, New Statesman
"For those unfamiliar with the thought of Castoriadis, reading his works for the first time is to encounter one of the most original and creative figures of the last half of the twentieth century." David Wallace, Topia