The Theological Interpretation of Scripture: Classic and Contemporary Readings
January 1997, Wiley-Blackwell
List of Contributors.
Part I: The Contexts of Theological Interpretation:.
1. Spiritual Understanding: Henri de Lubac, S. J. (French Jesuit Theologian, 1896-1991), Translated by Luke O'Neill.
2. The Superiority of Pre-Critical Exegesis: David C. Steinmetz (Duke University).
3. The Story-Shaped Church: Critical Exegesis and Theological Interpretation: George Lindbeck (Yale University).
4. Feminist Theological Hermeneutics: Canon and Christian Identity: Claudia V. Camp (Texas Christian University).
5. The Bible and African Americans: An Outline of an Interpretative History: Vincent L. Wimbush (Union Theological Seminary in New York).
6. The New Testament and the Nicene Dogma: A Contribution to the Recovery of Theological Exegesis: David S. Yeago (Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary).
Part II: Theological Interpretations of Select Biblical Texts: Exodus 3: .
7. Selections from Gregory of Nyssa's Life of Moses:.
Translated and introduced by Joseph W. Trigg (Rector, Christ Church, Port Tobacco Parish, La Plata, Maryland).
8. Selections from Nicholas of Lyra's Commentary on Exodus: Translated and introduced by Corrine Patton (University of St Thomas).
9. Three Postcritical Encounters with the Burning Bush: Peter Ochs.
10. Exodus 3: A Theological Interpretation: Terence E. Fretheim (Luther Northwestern Theological Seminary).
11. Exodus 3: Summons to Holy Transformation: Walter Brueggemann (Columbia Theological Seminary).
12. Selections from Theodoret of Cyrus's Commentary on Isaiah: Translated and introduced by Angela Russell Christman (Loyola College, Maryland).
13. Selections from John Calvin's Sermons on Isaiah: Translated and introduced by Kathryn Greene-McCreight (Yale College).
14. Speech and Silence in the Servant Passages: Towards a Final-Form Reading of the Book of Isaiah: Tod Linafelt (Georgetown University).
15. Selections from I, He , We, They: A Literary Approach to Isaiah 53: David J. A. Clines (University of Sheffield).
16. Engaging Metaphors: Suffering with Zion and the Servant in Isaiah 52-53: Beverly J. Stratton (Augsburg College).
17. Selections from John Chrysostom's Homilies on Matthew: Translated and Introduced by Robin Darling Young (The Catholic University of America).
18. Selections from Martin Luther's Sermons on the Sermon on the Mount: Translated and Introduced by Mark S. Burrows (Andover Newton Theological School).
19. Righteousness from the Inside: The Transformative Spirituality of the Sermon on the Mount: Brian K. Blount (Princeton Theological Seminary).
20. Selections from The Cost of Discipleship: Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Theologian, Pastor in the Confessing Church in Germany, Martyr, 1906-45).
21. The Sermon on the Mount as Radical Pastoral Care: Richard Lischer (Duke University).
Romans 9-11: .
22. Selections from Augustine's Propositions from the Epistle to the Romans and To Simplician - on Various Questions: Introduced by Peter Gorday (Georgia Association for Pastoral Care).
23. Selections from Thomas Aquinas's Commentary on Romans: Translated and Introduced by Eugene F. Rogers, Jr. (University of Virginia).
24. Romans 10:4 and the 'End' of the Law: Paul W. Meyer (Princeton Theological Seminary).
25. Divine Initiative and Human Response: E. Elizabeth Johnson (New Brunswick Theological Seminary).
26. Figure and Ground in the Interpretation of Romans 9-11: Neil Elliott (The College of St Katherine).