The State, Politics and Health: Essays for Rudolf Klein
June 1996, Wiley-Blackwell
Part I: Theory and Policy:.
1. The Life You Risk Should be Your Own: Albert Weale.
2. Is There a Cake to Divide?: Samuel Brittan.
3. Quasi-Markets: The Answer to Market Failure in Health Care?: Julian LeGrand.
4. A New Institutional Economics on Health Care: James C. Robinson.
Part II: Institutions, Professions and Policy:.
5. The State as the Guarantor of Social Welfare: Jerry L. Mashaw and Theodore R. Marmor.
6. The Limits of Simple Fixes.
7. Negotiating Health Policy.
8. The Accretion of History: Peter Hennessy.
9. The Profession of Medicine in the Making of Health Policy.
10. Reconciling the Demand and Provision of Health Services.
Part III: Analysis and Policy:.
11. Policy Analysis as an Academic Volition: Richard Rose.
12. Some Policy Analysis Fallacies: Patricia Day.
13. Asking the Right Question: Ellie Scrivens.
Daniel Fox is President of the Millbank Memorial Fund.
Robert Maxwell is Chief Executive of the King's Fund.
Ellie Scrivens is Research Professor at the University of Keele.
- Each essay employs insights and methods associated with Rudolf Klein to describe contemporary policy and politics on a subject associated with him
- The essayists include journalists, policy analysts, economists, sociologists, lawyers, historians and political scientists who have direct experience in making and implementing health and social policy.