Nonlinear Dynamics in Astronomy and Physics: In Memory of Henry Kandrup, Volume 1045
June 2005, Wiley-Blackwell
Contributors to this volume include theorists and
experimentalists from the fields of nonlinear dynamics,
mathematics, galactic dynamics and structure, dark matter, plasma
physics, accelerator beams, and statistical mechanics. Dynamical
problems on all astrophysical scales are discussed from those of
the sun and the solar system to cosmology.
This is a particularly appropriate time to look at this subject
because observations have provided compelling evidence that many
galaxies are genuinely three-dimensional; that is, they are neither
spherical nor axisymmetric, they typically have a central density
cusp, and the center of the galaxy often contains a super massive
black hole. Furthermore, the Hubble Space Telescope has produced
exciting data about the spatial and temporal structure of
cosmological space-time and especially about the epoch of galaxy
The meeting and the volume are dedicated to the memory of
Professor Henry E. Kandrup, whose work was centered on stochastic
problems in stellar dynamics.
NOTE: Annals volumes are available for sale as individual books or as a journal. For information on institutional journal subscriptions, please visit www.blackwellpublishing.com/nyas.
ACADEMY MEMBERS: Please contact the New York Academy of Sciences directly to place your order (www.nyas.org). Members of the New York Academy of Science receive full-text access to the Annals online and discounts on print volumes. Please visit http://www.nyas.org/MemberCenter/Join.aspx for more information about becoming a member.
1. In Memory of Henry Emil Kandrup. (James R. Ipser).
2. Henry Kandrup's Ideas About Relaxation of Stellar Systems. (David Merritt).
3. Chaotic Collisionless Evolution in Galaxies and Charged-Particle Beams. (Henry E. Kandrup, Courtlandt L. Bohn, Rami A. Kishek, Patrick G. O'shea, Martin Reiser, and Ioannis V. Sideris).
4. Chaotic Dynamics in Charged-Particle Beams: Possible Analogs of Galactic Evolution. (Courtlandt L. Bohn).
5. The University of Maryland Electron Ring: A Platform For Study of Galactic Dynamics on a Laboratory Scale. (R A. Kishek, P G. O'shea, S Bernal, I Haber, J R. Harris, Y Huo, H Li, and M Reiser).
6. Wavelet-Based Poisson Solver for Use in Particle-in-Cell Simulations. (Balsa Terzic and Ilya V. Pogorelov).
7. Energy Trapping in Loaded String Models with Long- and Short-Range Couplings. (Ilya V. Pogorelov and Henry E. Kandrup).
8. Characterization of Chaos: A New, Fast, and Effective Measure. (Ioannis V. Sideris).
9. Hard Sphere Dynamics for Normal and Granular Fluids. (James W. Dufty and Aparna Baskaran).
10. Nonlinear Stability of Newtonian Galaxies and Stars from a Mathematical Perspective. (Gerhard Rein).
11. Chaos in Orbits Due to Disk Crossings. (C Hunter).
12. Systems with Escapes. (G Contopoulos and M Harsoula).
13. On Bars and Haloes: Their Interaction and Their Orbital Structure. (E Athanassoula).
14. The Basic Dynamical Mechanism in Spiral Galaxies. (Daniel Pfenniger and Yves Revaz).
15. The Two Pattern Speeds of NGC 335. (Veera Boonyasait, P A Patsis, and S T Gottesman).
16. Evolution of Binary Supermassive Black Holes via Chain Regularization. (Andras Szell, David Merritt, and Seppo Mikkola).
17. Gravitomagnetic Field and Penrose Scattering Processes. (Reva Kay Williams).
18. Self-Gravity Driven Instabilities at Accelerated Interfaces. (Robert M. Hueckstaedt, James H. Hunter, Jr., and Richard V.E. Lovelace).
19. Dynamics of Intracluster Gas and Bulk Motions in Clusters. (Renato Dupke).
20. Resonance Bands and Binary-Star Formation. (Norman R. Lebovitz).
21. The Symplectic Group and Classical Mechanics. (Alex J. Dragt).
22. Chaos and Quantum Mechanics. (Salman Habib, Tanmoy Bhattacharya, Benjamin Greenbaum, Kurt Jacobs, Kosuke Shizume, and Bala Sundaram).
Afterword. (Chris Hunter).
aindex of Contributors.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Nonlinear Dynamics in Astronomy and Physics: In Memory of Henry Kandrup, Volume 1045 (US $164.95)
-and- The Year in Cognitive Neuroscience 2012, Volume 1251 (US $145.00)
Total List Price: US $309.95
Discounted Price: US $232.46 (Save: US $77.49)