Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Volume 1141, Addiction Reviews 2008
November 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
NOTE: Annals volumes are available for sale as individual books or as a journal. For information on institutional journal subscriptions, please visit www.blackwellpublishing.com/nyas.
ACADEMY MEMBERS: Please contact the New York Academy of Sciences directly to place your order (www.nyas.org). Members of the New York Academy of Science receive full-text access to the Annals online and discounts on print volumes. Please visit http://www.nyas.org/MemberCenter/Join.aspx for more information about becoming a member
Introduction: Nora D. Volkow.
Part I: Mechanisms of Addiction:.
1. Drug Addiction and the Memory Systems of the Brain: T.W. Robbins, K.D. Ersche, and B.J. Everitt.
2. Protein Kinases and Addiction: Anna Lee and Robert Messing.
3. Correlating Human and Animal Studies of Cocaine Abuse and Gene Expression: Melinda E. Lull, Willard M. Freeman, Kent E. Vrana, and Deborah C. Mash.
4. Genes and Molecules that can Potentiate or Attenuate Models of Psychostimulant Dependence: Relevance of Data from Animal Models to Human Addiction: Minae Niwa, Yijin Yan, and Toshitaka Nabeshima.
5. Implication of Activated Astrocytes in the Development of Drug Dependence: Differences between Methamphetamine and Morphine: Minoru Narita, Masami Suzuki, Naoko Kuzumaki, Mayumi Miyatake, and Tsutomu Suzuki.
Part II: Related Conditions:.
6. Chronic Stress, Drug Use, and Vulnerability to Addiction: Rajita Sinha.
7. ADHD and Smoking: From Genes to Brain to Behavior: Francis Joseph McClernon and Scott Haden Kollins.
8. An Update on Substance Use and Treatment following Traumatic Brain Injury: David P. Graham and Aaron L. Cardon.
9. Molecular Mechanisms of Fat Preference and Overeating: Dany Gaillard, Patricia Passilly-Degrace, and Philippe Besnard.
Part III: Imaging:.
10. Nonhuman Primate Neuroimaging and the Neurobiology of Psychostimulant Addiction: Leonard L. Howell and Kevin S. Murnane.
11. Abuse of Amphetamines and Structural Abnormalities in Brain: Steven Berman, Joseph O’Neill, Scott Fears, George Bartzokis, and Edythe D. London.
Part IV: Treatment:.
12. Antagonists at Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor Subtype 5: Structure Activity Relationships and Therapeutic Potential for Addiction: F. Ivy Carroll.
13. Disrupting Nicotine Reinforcement: From Cigarette to Brain: Jed E. Rose.
14. Substance Abuse Vaccines: Frank M. Orson, Berma M. Kinsey, Rana A. K. Singh, Yan Wu, Tracie Gardner, and Thomas R. Kosten.
15. Predicting Treatment Outcome in Stimulant Dependence: Martina Reske and Martin P. Paulus.
16. Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies for Drugs with Abuse Liability: Public Interest, Special Interest, Conflicts of Interest and the Industry Perspective: Curtis Wright IV, Sidney Schnoll, and David Bernstein.
Part V: Epidemiology:.
17. Drug Addiction in China: Lin Lu and Xi Wang.
Part VI: Genetics:.
18. Molecular Genetics of Addiction and Related Heritable Phenotypes: Genome Wide Association Approaches Identify “Connectivity Constellation” and Drug Target Genes with Pleiotropic Effects: George R. Uhl, Tomas Drgon, Catherine Johnson, Chuan-Yun Li, Carlo Contoreggi, Judith Hess, Daniel Naiman, and Qing-Rong Liu.
Index of Contributors