Developing a Comprehensive Faculty Evaluation System: A Guide to Designing, Building, and Operating Large-Scale Faculty Evaluation Systems, 3rd Edition
October 2006, Jossey-Bass
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Preface to the Third Edition.
Introduction: Preliminary Issues in Planning of the Development of a Comprehensive Faculty Evaluation System.
The New Paradigm.
Faculty Evaluation: Fast, Fair, Cheap (Pick Any Two).
The Trap of Best Practices.
Systematic Faculty Involvement.
Fundamental Definitions and Assumptions.
College Teaching as Meta-Profession.
Linking Faculty Evaluation and Faculty Development.
Obstacles to Establishing Successful Programs.
Guidelines for Overcoming Obstacles and Avoiding Errors.
Practical Considerations in Planning the Development of Your Faculty Evaluation System.
Data Storage and Confidentiality.
Using This Book.
1. Step 1: Determining the Faculty Role Model.
2. Step 2: Determining Faculty Role Model Parameter Values.
Establishing Parameter Values.
Determining College or Institutional Parameter Values.
Dealing With "Outliers".
3. Step 3: Defining Roles in the Faculty Role Model.
Defining the Teaching Role: Perspectives on the Definition of Teaching.
Defining Teaching for Faculty Evaluation and Development Systems.
Defining Other Roles.
Completing Step 3: Determining Role Definitions for Your Faculty Role Model.
4. Step 4: Determining Role Component Weights.
Case 1: Component Weights Fixed.
Case 2: Required and Optional Components With Fixed or Variable Weights.
Case 3: Mix of Required an Optional Components With Fixed or Variable Weights Gathering the Role Component Weight Information.
5. Step 5: Determining Appropriate Sources of Information.
6. Step 6: Determining the Source Impact Weights.
Determining the Source Weights .Determining the Source Impact.
7. Step 7: Determining How Information Should Be Gathered.
8. Step 8: Completing the System: Selecting or Designing Forms, Protocols, and Rating Scale.
Common Numerical Rating Scale.
Faculty Evaluation Tools and Procedures.
Timetable for Developing a Comprehensive Faculty Evaluation System.
9. Generating an Overall Composite Rating.
Computing the Composite Role Rating.
Individualizing the Evaluations: the Overall Composite Ratings (OCR).
Responding to Concerns in Using a Single Numerical Index (OCR).
10. Using the OCR in Promotion, Tenure, Merit Pay, and Post-Tenure Review Decisions.
Using the OCR in Merit Pay Decisions.
11. Operating the Faculty Evaluation System: Peer Input and Review Issues.
Who Is a Peer?
What Information Can Peers Provide?
Gathering Peer Input.
Adapting Traditional Peer Review and Evaluation Systems.
Peer Observation of Classroom Performance.
12. Student Ratings: What More Than 80 Years of Research Tell Us.
What Is Validity?
What Does the Research Tell Us?
13. Operating the Faculty Evaluation System: Issues in Designing and Using Student rating Forms.
Designing a Valid and Reliable Student Rating Form.
Administering Student Rating Systems.
Options for Administering Ratings Forms in Class.
The Student Rating Report.
Format of the Student Rating Form Computerized Analysis Output.
Interpreting and Using Student Rating Results.
Faculty Evaluation and Professional Enrichment.
Online Student Ratings.
14. Catalog of Student Rating Items.
Self-Reported Course Impact on the Student.
Alternate and Supplementary Teaching/Learning Environments.
15. Commercially Available Student Rating Forms.
Checklist for Identifying and Selecting Published Forms.
Review of Selected Published or Commercially Available Student Rating Forms.
Aleamoni Course/Instructor Evaluation Questionnaire (CIEQ).
IDEA Student Ratings of Instruction.
Student Instructional Report II (SIR II).
16. Case Studies and Sample Faculty Evaluation Manuals.
Frostburg State University Case Study.
Frostburg State University Faculty Evaluation System.
Georgia Perimeter College Faculty Evaluation System.
Fairmont State University Case Study.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Developing a Comprehensive Faculty Evaluation System: A Guide to Designing, Building, and Operating Large-Scale Faculty Evaluation Systems, 3rd Edition (US $55.00)
Total List Price: US $97.00
Discounted Price: US $72.75 (Save: US $24.25)