Academic Leadership: A Practical Guide to Chairing the Department, 2nd Edition
November 2006, Jossey-Bass
Now organized into six parts, the second edition contains best practices and ideas from some of today's leading scholars. It also incorporates information on emerging challenges and expectations for department chairpersons, including
- Developing a departmental vision
- Working with constituents
- Retaining students
- Conflict management
- Mentoring faculty
- Post-tenure review
Written to assist chairpersons in carrying out their duties, each concise chapter offers advice and practical suggestions for aspiring, new, and experienced chairpersons. Readers are provided with the expectations of the chair role as well as examples for handling specific tasks. In addition, this book encourages chairpersons to analyze their departments in order to effect improvement and develop their own approaches to solving problems.
Featuring useful checklists, tables, and sample forms, this book also provides practical tools on the key areas of chair work—departmental management; interacting with faculty, students, and upper administration; financial matters; legal issues; assessment and evaluation. This invaluable resource will help guide chairpersons through the many responsibilities of their position.
Part I: Leadership.
1. Advice for New Chairpersons.
2. Seven Habits of Successful Chairpersons.
3. Providing Leadership.
4. Duties and Responsibilities of Chairpersons.
5. Timesaving Tips for Effective Chairpersons.
Part II: Department.
7. Developing a Departmental Vision.
8. Improving Your Department.
9. Developing Outcome Assessment Programs.
10. Managing Change.
11. Building and Maintaining Morale.
12. Managing Conflict.
13. Working With Constituents.
14. Working With Your Dean.
15. Dealing With Curriculum Matters.
16. Conducting Effective Meetings.
17. Budget and Financial Management.
Part III: Legal Issues.
18. Avoiding Legal Problems.
19. Understanding Sexual Harassment and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Part IV: Faculty.
20. Recruiting and Hiring Faculty.
21. Retaining, Mentoring, and Terminating Faculty.
22. Strategies for Faculty Development.
23. Evaluating Faculty Performance.
24. Handling Promotion and Tenure Issues.
25. Dealing With Chronic Low Achievers.
26. Dealing With Difficult Faculty.
Part V: Students.
27. Recruiting and Retaining Students.
28. Dealing With Emotional and Disrespectful Student Behavior.
Part VI: Looking Ahead.
29. Moving Up the Administrative Ladder.
30. Where Do You Go From Here?
—Alan T. Seagren, Professor of Educational Administration and Director of the Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Academic Leadership: A Practical Guide to Chairing the Department, 2nd Edition (US $55.00)
Total List Price: US $87.00
Discounted Price: US $65.25 (Save: US $21.75)