Firsthand America: A History of the United States, Volume 1, 8th Edition
July 2005, ©2005, Wiley-Blackwell
2. North America.
3. The Developing Colonies.
4. An Independent Spirit 1763-1776.
5. Revolution and Independence 1776-1787.
6. We the People 1787-1800.
7. Independence Confirmed 11800-1816.
8. Sinews of Nationhood.
9. Sectionalism and Part 1816-1828.
10. The Jacksonian Era 1828-1840.
11. An Age of Reform.
12.Westward Expansion: The 1840s.
13. Impending Crisis: The 1850s.
14. A Great Civil War 1861-1865.
15. “Been in the Strom So Long”: Emancipation and Reconstruction.
Virginia Bernhard has published two historical novels, set in seventeenth-century Virginia and Bermuda, as well as a biography of a Texas governor's daughter. She coedited Southern Women: Histories and Identities (1992) and teaches at the University of St. Thomas in Houston. Professor Bernhard has served on the Advanced Placement test development committee for United States history.
Stanley I. Kutler is Professor Emeritus at the University of Wisconsin. He was the founding editor of Reviews in American History and is editor of “The American Moment” series at Johns Hopkins University Press. Among his many books are The American Inquisition: Justice and Injustice in the Cold War (1982), Privilege and Creative Destruction: The Charles River Bridge Case (1989), and The Wars of Watergate: The Last Crisis of Richard Nixon (1990). In 1996, along with the advocacy group Public Citizen, he won a landmark decision to release the suppressed secret Watergate tapes, which led to his book Abuse of Power: The New Nixon Tapes (1997).
- New materials on Moctezuma, Cortes, their defenders and detractors; also continuing coverage of the Iraq war in close response to the latest news reports.
- Fresh section openings on Bartoleme de las casas, colonial architecture times, the Cane Ridge Revival, the war with the Barbary States, free people of color, the eugenics movement, Pentecostalism, Amos ‘n Andy, 9/11, and the latest events in the Middle East.
- Four-color maps at the front and back of the volume
- Conclusion of each chapter contains a dialogue between two notable American historians
Firsthand America: A History of the United States, Volume 1, 8th Edition (US $65.95)
-and- Firsthand America: A History of the United States, 8th Edition, Volume 2 (US $65.95)
Total List Price: US $131.90
Discounted Price: US $98.92 (Save: US $32.98)