Firsthand America: A History of the United States, 8th Edition, Volume 2
July 2005, ©2005, Wiley-Blackwell
16. Industrialism and Labor Strife 1865-1900.
17. The West and South 1865-1900.
18. City and Farm 1665-1900.
19. Culture and Political Thought in an Industrializing Nation.
20. The Outward Thrust 1865-1909.
21. The Progressive Spirit.
22. Progressivism in Peace and War 1900-1918.
23. The New Era.
24. The New Deal.
25. Diplomacy and War 1933-1945.
26. Postwar Politics and the Cold War.
27. Consensus and Division: 1953-1965.
28. American Society and the Vietnam War.
29. New Boundaries.
30. The New Millennium.
Virginia Bernhard has published two historical novels, set in seventeenth-century Virginia and Bermuda, as well as a biography of a Texas governor's daughter. She coedited Southern Women: Histories and Identities (1992) and teaches at the University of St. Thomas in Houston. Professor Bernhard has served on the Advanced Placement test development committee for United States history.
Stanley I. Kutler is Professor Emeritus at the University of Wisconsin. He was the founding editor of Reviews in American History and is editor of “The American Moment” series at Johns Hopkins University Press. Among his many books are The American Inquisition: Justice and Injustice in the Cold War (1982), Privilege and Creative Destruction: The Charles River Bridge Case (1989), and The Wars of Watergate: The Last Crisis of Richard Nixon (1990). In 1996, along with the advocacy group Public Citizen, he won a landmark decision to release the suppressed secret Watergate tapes, which led to his book Abuse of Power: The New Nixon Tapes (1997).
- New materials on Moctezuma, Cortes, their defenders and detractors; also continuing coverage of the Iraq war in close response to the latest news reports.
- Fresh section openings on Bartoleme de las casas, colonial architecture times, the Cane Ridge Revival, the war with the Barbary States, free people of color, the eugenics movement, Pentecostalism, Amos ‘n Andy, 9/11, and the latest events in the Middle East.
- Four-color maps at the front and back of the volume
- Conclusion of each chapter contains a dialogue between two notable American historians
Firsthand America: A History of the United States, 8th Edition, Volume 2 (US $65.95)
-and- Firsthand America: A History of the United States, Volume 1, 8th Edition (US $65.95)
Total List Price: US $131.90
Discounted Price: US $98.92 (Save: US $32.98)