Cellular Proteins and Their Fatty Acids in Health and Disease
March 2006, Wiley-Blackwell
Incorporating recent findings, this is indispensable for basic scientists, health professionals in industry and clinics as well as postgraduate students.
Contributors among others: N.A. Abumrad, J.E. Schaffer, G. Schmitz, N.J. Brunskill, J. Storch, U. Seedorf, S. Mandrup, C.N.A. Palmer, T. Perlmann, H.I. Nebb, J. Bar-Tana, H. Kondo, C. Wolfrum, C. Kerkhoff , S. Farmer, E.J. Murphy, J.F.C. Glatz, P. Besnard, J.M. Stewart, A. Meirhaeghe, J. Plutzky, W. Wahli, R.A. Roberts
List of Contributors.
PART 1 - THE MOLECULAR BASIS OF PROTEIN-LIPID INTERACTION AND FUNCTIONAL CONSEQUENCES.
1. Structure-Function of CD36 and Evidence for its Role in Facilitating Membrane Fatty Acid Transport (C. Coburn & N. Abumrad).
2. Role and Function of FATPs in Fatty Acid Uptake (J. Schaffer).
3. Function, Expression, and Regulation of Human ABC Transporters (G. Schmitz & T. Langmann).
4. Albumin Receptors – Structure and Function (N. Brunskill).
5. Intracellular Lipid Binding Proteins: Evolution, Structure, and Ligand Binding (C. Lücke, et al.).
6. Fatty Acid Binding Proteins and Fatty Acid Transport (J. Storch & L. McDermott).
7. Structure and Function of SCP-x/SCP-2 (U. Seedorf).
8. Structure, Function, and Phylogeny of Acyl-CoA Binding Protein (S. Mandrup, et al.).
9. Structure and Function of PPARs and their Molecular Recognition of Fatty Acids (C. Palmer).
10. Structure and Function of Retinoid Receptors RAR and RXR (A. Mata de Urquiza & T. Perlmann).
11. Liver X Receptors (LXRs) – Important Regulators of Lipid Homeostasis (L. Juvet & H. Nebb).
12. Acyl-CoA Ligands of HNF-4a and HNF-4a/PPARa Interplay (R. Hertz & J. Bar-Tana).
PART 2 - ROLE FOR PROTEINS IN CELLULAR HOMEOSTASIS.
13. Fatty Acid Binding Proteins and their Roles in Transport of Long-chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids across the Feto-placental Unit (A. Duttaroy).
14. Fatty Acid Binding Proteins of the Brain (Y. Owada & H. Kondo).
15. Cross-talk between Intracellular Lipid Binding Proteins and Ligand Activated Nuclear Receptors - A Signaling Pathway for Fatty Acids (C. Wolfrum & F. Spener).
16. Arachidonic Acid Binding Proteins in Human Neutrophils (C. Kerkhoff & O. Rådmark).
17. PPARs, Cell Differentiation, and Glucose Homeostasis (S. Farmer).
18. Role of FABPs in Cellular Phospholipid Metabolism (C. Jolly & E. Murphy).
19. Membrane-associated Fatty Acid Binding Proteins Regulate Fatty Acid Uptake by Cardiac and Skeletal Muscle (J. Glatz, et al.).
20. Intestinal Fat Absorption: Roles of Intracellular Lipid-Binding Proteins and Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors (I. Niot & P. Besnard).
21. Fatty Acid Binding Proteins as Metabolic Regulators (J. Stewart).
22. Role of Lipid Binding Proteins in Disease (A. Meirhaeghe & P. Amouyel).
23. PPARs and Atherosclerosis (J. Plutzky).
24. PPARs: Nuclear Hormone Receptors Involved in the Control of Inflammation (L. Michalik, et al.).
25. PPARs and Cancer (J. Gill & R. Roberts).