Surface and Interfacial Forces
Starting with intermolecular forces, the authors discuss different surfaces forces, with a major part devoted to surface forces between solid surfaces in liquid media. In addition, they cover surface forces between liquid-vapor interfaces and between liquid-liquid interfaces.
2. Van der Waals Forces
3. Experimental Methods
4. Electrostatic Double-layer Forces
5. Capillary Forces
6. Hydrodynamic Forces
7. Interfacial Forces between Fluid Interfaces and across Thin Films
8. Contact Mechanics and Adhesion Friction
9. Solvation Forces and Non-DLVO Forces in Water
10. Surface Forces in Polymer Solutions and Melts
11. Solutions to Exercises
Michael Kappl received his PhD thesis from the Max-Planck-Institute of Biophysics in Frankfurt and worked at the University of Mainz and Siegen. Since 2002 he is a project leader at the Max-Planck-Institute for Polymer Research in Mainz. He concentrates his research activities on Surface Forces and the Interactions of Particle Bubbles as wall as Monolayer Particles.