Curtis's Botanical Magazine
Now well over two hundred years old, Curtis's Botanical Magazine is the longest running botanical periodical featuring colour illustrations of plants. Each four-part volume of the Magazine contains 24 botanically precise plant portraits reproduced from watercolour originals by some of the world's leading botanical artists. Detailed but readable texts combine horticultural and botanical information with such topics as history, conservation and economic uses of a world-wide range of plants.
Curtis's Botanical Magazine has been published continuously since 1787 although there have been several series within the overall sequence. In 1984 the sixth series of Curtis's Botanical Magazine appeared under the banner of the Kew Magazine, a joint title which served to underline the commitment of the Royal Botanical Gardens to the continued publication of this historic periodical. In 1995 the Magazine returned to its roots and the historical and popular name Curtis's Botanical Magazine again took precedence.