Wiley Pathways Business Math, 1st Edition
November 2006, ©2007
Where do you want to go? You might already be working in a business setting. You may be looking to expand your skills. Or, you might be setting out on a new career path.
Wherever you want to go, Business Math will help you get there. Easy-to-read, practical, and up-to-date, this text not only helps you learn fundamental mathematical concepts needed for business, it also helps you master the core competencies and skills you need to succeed in the classroom and beyond. The book's brief, modular format and variety of built-in learning resources enable you to learn at your own pace and focus your studies.
With this book, you will be able to:
* Understand the business uses of percent calculations.
* Solve business problems using algebraic equations.
* Learn why stores markup and markdown their inventory.
* Calculate different types of discounts.
* Examine different banking options.
* Compare personal, sales, and property taxes and the implications of taxing income, property, and retail sales.
* Calculate simple and compound interest and learn how each affects the future value of money.
* Explore the uses of promissory notes, mortgages, and credit cards and how to calculate the cost of each.
* Learn different ways to determine the loss of value of business property and equipment, and the effect of depreciation on taxes.
* Examine financial statements and learn how to read the income statement and the balance sheet.
* Learn how to calculate the mean, median, mode, and range of data.
Wiley Pathways helps you achieve your goals
When it comes to learning about business, not everyone is on the same path. But everyone wants to succeed. The new Wiley Pathways series in Business helps you achieve your goals with its brief, inviting format, clear language, and focus on core competencies and skills.
The books in this series--Finance, Business Communication, Marketing, Business Math, and Real Estate--offer a coordinated curriculum for learning business. Learn more at www.wiley.com/go/pathways.
Part I: Math Principles
1 Whole Numbers, Decimals, and Negative Numbers 1
2 Fractions 15
3 Calculating Percents 30
4 Using Algebraic Equations to Solve Business Problems 47
Part II: Retailing Applications
5 Markup, Markdown, and Inventory Management 66
6 Discounts 85
Part III: General Business Applications
7 Banking and Insurance 101
8 Taxes 131
9 Calculating Interest 149
10 Loans and Consumer Credit 177
11 Depreciation 193
12 Financial Statements 209
13 Business Statistics 244
- Clear, everyday language and clean format. Students can read each chapter without being intimidated by difficult language or overwhelmed by sidebars, textboxes, and other fillers that interrupt the flow of the writing.
- Modular format. Instructors can reorder textbook content to suit the needs of a particular class. The text proceeds logically from the basics to more challenging material, and chapters are further organized into sections that are self-contained for maximum teaching and learning flexibility.
- Pre-test. This pre-reading assessment tool in multiple-choice format introduces chapter material and the learning outcomes. By focusing students’ attention on what they do not know, the self-test provides a benchmark against which they can measure their own progress.
- What You’ll Learn in this Chapter and After Studying this Chapter. These bulleted lists tell students what they will be learning in this chapter and why it is significant. “What You’ll Learn…” lists focus on subject matter that will be taught. Each bullet in the list corresponds to a chapter section. “After Studying This Chapter…” lists emphasize capabilities and skills students will learn.
- Goals and Outcomes. These lists identify specific learner capabilities that will result from reading the chapter. They set students up to synthesize and evaluate the chapter material, and relate it to the real world.
- “For Example” Boxes. Found within each section, these boxes tie section content to real-world organizations, scenarios, and applications.
- Figures and tables. Line art and photos have been carefully chosen to be truly instructional rather than filler. Tables distill and present information in a way that is easy to identify, access, and understand, enhancing the focus of the text on essential ideas without distracting or overwhelming the reader.
- Self-Check. Related to the “What You’ll Learn” bullets and found at the end of each section, this battery of short answer questions emphasizes student understanding of concepts and mastery of section content. Each Self-Check question set includes a link to a section of the pre-test for further review and practice.
- Key Terms and Glossary. To help students develop a professional vocabulary, key terms are bolded in the introduction, summary and when they first appear in the chapter. A complete list of key terms with brief definitions appears at the end of each chapter and again in a glossary at the end of the book. Knowledge of key terms is assessed by all assessment tools (see below).
- Summary. Each chapter concludes with a summary paragraph that reviews the major concepts in the chapter and links back to the “What You’ll Learn” list.
Evaluation and Assessment Tools
- Summary Questions. These help students summarize the chapter’s main points by asking a series of multiple choice and true/false questions that emphasize student understanding of concepts and mastery of chapter content.
- Review Questions. In short answer format, these questions review the major points in each chapter, prompting analysis while reinforcing and confirming student understanding of concepts, and encouraging mastery of chapter content.
- Applying this Chapter Questions. This feature is used to drive home key ideas by asking students to synthesize and apply chapter concepts to new, real-life situations and scenarios.
- You Try It! Questions. Designed to extend students’ thinking, these questions are ideal for discussion or writing assignments. Using an open-ended format and sometimes based on Web sources, they encourage students to draw conclusions using chapter material applied to real-world situations, which fosters both mastery and independent learning.
- Post-test. After students have completed the chapter they have the ability to take a post test. It includes all of the questions in the pre-test, so that students can see how their learning has progressed and improved.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.