Product and Process Design Principles: Synthesis, Analysis and Design, 3rd Edition
December 2008, ©2009
A principal objective of this textbook is to describe and model modern strategies for the design of chemical products and processes, with an emphasis on a systematic approach. This third edition expands upon the strategies for product design, beginning with the need for a project charter, followed by the creation of an innovation map in which potential new technologies are linked to consumer needs. Then, it focuses on the Stage-GateTM Product-Development Process (SGPDP) for the design of basic, industrial, and configured consumer chemical products. Six new case studies have been added to illustrate these product design strategies.
1S Supplement to Chapter 1.
2. Product-Development Process.
PART 1 BASIC CHEMICALS PRODUCT DESIGN.
3. Materials Technology for Basic Chemicals: Molecular-Structure Design.
3S Supplement to Chapter 3.
4. Process Creation for Basic Chemicals.
5. Simulation to Assist in Process Creation.
6. Heuristics for Process Synthesis.
7. Reactor Design and Synthesis of Networks Containing Reactors.
7S Supplement to Chapter 7.
8. Synthesis of Separation Trains.
9. Heat and Power Integration.
9S Suppliment to Chapter 9 Second Law Analysis.
10. Mass Integration.
11. Optimal Design and Scheduling of Batch Processes.
12. Plantwide Controllability Assessment.
12S Supplement to Chapter 12 Flowsheet Controllability Analysis.
13. Basic Chemicals Product Design Case Studies.
PART 2 INDUSTRIAL CHEMICALS PRODUCT DESIGN.
14. Materials and Process/Manufacturing Technologies for Industrial Chemical Products.
15. Industrial Chemicals Product Design Case Studies.
PART 3 CONFIGURED CONSUMER PRODUCT DESIGN.
16. Materials, Process/Manufacturing, and Product Technologies for Congured Consumer Products.
16S Supplement to Chapter 16.
17. Congured Consumer Product Design Case Studies.
PART 4 DETAILED DESIGN, EQUIPMENT SIZING, OPTIMIZATION, AND PRODUCT-QUALITY ANALYSIS.
18. Heat Exchanger Design.
19. Separation Tower Design.
20. Pumps, Compressors, and Expanders.
21. Polymer Compounding.
22. Cost Accounting and Capital Cost Estimation.
22S Supplement to Chapter 22.
23. Annual Costs, Earnings, and Protability Analysis.
23S Supplement to Chapter 23.
24. Design Optimization.
25. Six-Sigma Design Strategies.
PART 5 DESIGN REPORT.
26. Written Reports and Oral Presentations.