Marketing Research, 8th Edition
February 2009, ©2010
In the Eight Edition of Marketing Research, McDaniel and Gates continue to share their real-life experiences from the industry to teach students how to make critical business decisions through the study of market research.
The authors’ practical approach and emphasis on being “real” has made this one of the world’s leading marketing research texts. Like no other, this text prepares students by introducing actual data samples, marketing research professionals, and real-world case problems.
Filled with engaging, current examples drawn from the authors' ongoing involvement in the field, this comprehensive text teaches students how to become effective consumers of market research.
1. The Role of Marketing Research in Management Decision Making.
2. The Marketing Research Industry and Research Ethics.
3. Problem Definition, Exploratory Research, and the Research Process.
4. Secondary Data and Databases.
5. Qualitative Research.
6. Traditional Survey Research.
7. Online Marketing Research.
8. Primary Data Collection: Observation.
9. Primary Data Collection: Experimentation and Test Markets.
10. The Concept of Measurement.
11. Using Measurement Scales to Build Marketing Effectiveness.
12. Questionnaire Design.
13. Basic Sampling Issues.
14. Sample Size Determination.
15. Data Processing and Fundamental Data Analysis.
16. Statistical Testing of Differences and Relationships.
17. Bivariate Correlation and Regression.
18. Multivariate Data Analysis.
19. Communicating the Research Results.
20. Managing Marketing Research.
Appendix 1: Comprehensive Cases.
Appendix 2: Considerations in Creating a Marketing Plan.
Appendix 3: Statistical Tables.
- NEW chapter devoted to Online Market Research
- NEW content in every chapter that offers cutting edge trends and methodology
- NEW cases in every chapter, including cases on Budget Rent-A-Car, the Food and Drug Administration, Scottish Bureau of Tourism, Glad Trash Bags, and General Electric.
- Because of reader feedback, Communicating the Research Results and Managing Marketing Research are now covered in two separate chapters.
- NEW“Real Life Research” feature boxes present students with new, relatable examples of marketing research in the real world and follow-up questions to promote discussion.
- SPSS, Version 16.0 available with the text.
- Opening vignettes. Every chapter-opening vignette has been replaced. The companies and products featured include Bertolli Foods, Staples, and Monterrey Bay Aquarium. Where practical, the 8th edition vignettes also feature actual research studies by some of America’s largest marketing research firms.
- Ethical Dilemmas throughout the text.
- Internet Focus. Includes material on the ever-changing role of the Internet in marketing research.
- Global Research Vignettes. You will find new Global Research vignettes throughout the text.
- Roger Gates owns his own Marketing Research Company called DSS Research. He brings the practitioner approach to the content so it’s less research oriented and more applied to help students learn how to use the market research.