Wiley Pathways Windows Network Administration, 1st Edition
March 2007, ©2008
Where do you want to go? You might already be working in the information technology field and may be looking to expand your skills. You might be setting out on a new career path. Or, you might want to learn more about exciting opportunities in Windows network administration.
Wherever you want to go, Windows Network Administration will help you get there. Easy-to-read, practical, and up-to-date, this text not only helps you learn fundamental Windows network administration concepts, it also helps you master the core competencies and skills you need to succeed in the classroom and in the real world. The book's brief, modular format and variety of built-in learning resources enable you to learn at your own pace and focus your studies.
With this book, you will be able to:
* Understand networking from the ground up
* Explore protocols and protocol suites, including TCP/IP, the most common protocol suite in use today
* Implement and administer WINS, DNS, and DHCP
* Troubleshoot name resolution and DHCP problems
* Manage network access with group polices and permissions
* Secure network communications with IPSec
* Configure and troubleshoot routing and remote access
* Master practical techniques you can use to fully support network users
* Learn time-saving techniques and best practices that all administrators should know
Wiley Pathways helps you achieve your goals
Not every student is on the same path, but every student wants to succeed. The Information Technology series in the new Wiley Pathways imprint helps you achieve your goals. The books in this series--Introduction to Databases, Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic, Introduction to Operating Systems, Networking Basics, Windows Network Administration, Network Security Fundamentals, and PC Hardware Essentials--offer a coordinated information technology curriculum. Learn more at www.wiley.com/go/pathways
1. Understanding Networks 1
2. The TCP/IP Suite 42
3. Implementing and Administering WINS 103
4. Implementing and Administering DNS 136
5. Troubleshooting Name Resolution 174
6. Implementing and Administering DHCP 216
7. Troubleshooting DHCP 251
8. Managing Security 276
9. Managing Permissions 331
10. Administering Routing and Remote Access 356
11. Monitoring and Troubleshooting RRAS 407
12. Configuring and Troubleshooting IPSec 424
- Project manual: Separate manual with 5 exercises per chapter helps students apply textbook concepts and skills in practical way
- Pre-test: Pre-reading assessment tool in multiple-choice format. Introduces chapter material and helps students get an idea of what they know and where they need to focus their efforts.
- What You ll Learn in this Chapter and After Studying this Chapter: Presents the subject matter that the student will learn and emphasizes capabilities and skills students will build.
- Goals and Outcomes. These lists identify specific student capabilities that will result from reading the chapter. They help the student set expectations and show them what to reach for.
- Figures and tables. Line art and photos are carefully chosen to be instructional. Tables distill and present information clearly so students can focus on the essential ideas
- Introduction. This section orients the student by introducing the chapter and explaining its importance. Short summaries of chapter sections preview the topics to follow.
- Chapters. Each chapter is broken down into an average of four or five concise sections. A short assessment is provided at the end of each section.
- For Example Boxes: Found within each segment, a real world example is anchored to each section that illustrates and applies the preceding content
- Self-Check: Short answer questions at the end of the chapter let students know if they ve mastered the content. Each question set includes a link to a section of the pre-test for further review.
- Summary: Each chapter concludes with a summary paragraph that captures and reviews the major concepts in the chapter and links back to the What you ll learn list.
- Key Terms and Glossary: A convenient list of all terms that appear in boldfaced throughout the chapter are listed at the end of the chapter and in the glossary.
- Summary Questions help students summarize the chapter s main points by asking a series of multiple choice and true/false questions that emphasize how well they understand the concepts and content
- Review Questions in short answer format review the major points in each chapter. It encourages critical thinking skills while reinforcing and confirming that the concepts and content are understood.
- Applying this Chapter Questions drive home key ideas by asking students to combine and apply chapter concepts to new, real-life situations and scenarios.
- You Try It! Questions encourage students to draw conclusions using chapter material applied to real-world situations, which promotes both mastery of the content and independent learning.
- Post-test should be taken after students have completed the chapter. It includes all of the questions in the pre-test, so that students can see how their learning has progressed and improved
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.