Social Beings: Core Motives in Social Psychology, 2nd Edition
November 2009, ©2010
INTRODUCTION: ADAPTIVE MOTIVES FOR SOCIAL SITUATIONS, VIA CULTURES AND BRAINS
SCIENTIFIC METHODS FOR STUDYING PEOPLE IN INTERACTION
ORDINARY PERSONOLOGY: FIGURING OUT WHY PEOPLE DO WHAT THEY DO
SOCIAL COGNITION: MAKING SENSE OF OTHERS
THE SELF: SOCIAL TO THE CORE
ATTITUDES AND PERSUASION: CHANGING HEARTS AND MINDS
ATTRACTION: INITIATING ROMANCE, FRIENDSHIP, AND OTHER RELATIONSHIPS
CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS: PASSION, INTERDEPENDENCE, COMMITMENT, AND INTIMACY
HELPING: PROSOCIAL BEHAVIOR
AGGRESSION: ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOR
STEREOTYPING, PREJUDICE, AND DISCRIMINATION: SOCIAL BIASES
SMALL GROUPS: ONGOING INTERACTIONS
SOCIAL INFLUENCE: DOING WHAT OTHERS DO AND SAY
CONCLUSION: SOCIAL BEINGS
- Social neuroscience appears throughout the books topics, to reflect its recent appearance in the field
- Cutting-edge topics such as embodied cognition, terrorism, and homosexual relationships join the already relevant topics of the previous edition.
- Every chapter has been updated based on the newest research in the subject.
- Emphasizes the core social motives: Belonging, Understanding, Controlling, Enhancing Self, and Trusting.
- Presents a truly social approach to adaptation that is at once progressive, responsible, and complete.
- Offers a balanced view of the intellectual development of the field, featuring both classic materials that provide a historical context and cutting-edge work that demonstrates contemporary excitement.
- Weaves coverage of gender and ethnicity into the narrative of the text.
- Integrates culture throughout, providing students with a realistic sense of how social psychology operates in an increasingly multi-cultural world.
- Applications, which are integral to the chapters, demonstrate the utility of social psychology to solve real-world problems.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.