How Everything Works: Making Physics Out of the Ordinary
August 2007, ©2008
How does an iPod turn binary digits into Bon Jovi?
How do microwave ovens cook?
How does a pitcher make a curveball curve and a knuckleball jitter?
Why don't you fall off an upside-down roller coaster?
If one didn't know better, one might think the world was filled with magic—from the household appliances that make our lives easier to the devices that fill our world with sounds and images. Even a simple light bulb can seem mysterious when you're clueless about the science behind it.
Now in How Everything Works, Louis Bloomfield takes you inside the amazing gizmos and gadgets that are part of the fabric of our everyday life, explaining the physics that makes them work. Examining everything from roller coasters to radio, knuckleballs to nuclear weapons, How Everything Works reveals the answers to such questions as why the sky is blue, why metal is a problem in microwave ovens, how MRIs see inside you, and why some clothes require dry cleaning.
You don't need a science or engineering background to understand How Everything Works. All you need is an active curiosity about the extraordinary world all around you. Remarkably clear and always fascinating, How Everything Works is nothing short of a user's manual for our everyday world.
Chapter 2. More Things That Move.
Chapter 3. Mechanical Things.
Chapter 4. More Mechanical Things.
Chapter 5. Things Involving Fluids.
Chapter 6. Things That Move With Fluids.
Chapter 7. Thermal Things.
Chapter 8. Things That Work With Heat.
Chapter 9. Things With Resonances and Mechanical Waves.
Chapter 10. Electric Things.
Chapter 11. Magnetic and Electromagnetic Things.
Chapter 12. Electronic Things.
Chapter 13. Things That Use Electromagnetic Waves.
Chapter 14. Things That Involve Light.
Chapter 15. Optical Things.
Chapter 16. Things That Use Recent Physics.
Chapter 17. Things That Involve Materials.
Chapter 18. Things That Involve Chemical Physics.
Appendix A. Relevant Mathematics.
Appendix B. Units, Conversion of Units.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.