Principles of Genetics, 5th Edition
December 2008, ©2009
Chapter 1 The Science of Genetics
Chapter 2 Cellular Reproduction and Model Genetic Organisms
Classical Genetic Analysis
Chapter 3 Mendelism: The Basic Principles of Inheritance
Chapter 4 Extensions of Mendelism
Chapter 5 The Chromosomal Basis of Mendelism
Chapter 6 Variation in Chromosome Number and Structure
Chapter 7 Linkage, Crossing Over, and Chromosome Mapping in Eukaryotes
Chapter 8 The Genetics of Bacteria and their Viruses
Chapter 9 DNA and the Molecular Structure of Chromosomes
Chapter 10 Replication of DNA and Chromosomes
Chapter 11 Transcription and RNA Processing
Chapter 12 Translation and the Genetic Code
Chapter 13 Mutation, DNA Repair, and Recombination
Chapter 14 Definitions of the Gene
Chapter 15 The Techniques of Molecular Genetics
Chapter 16 Genomics
Chapter 17 Applications of Molecular Genetics
Chapter 18 Transposable Genetic Elements
Chapter 19 Regulation of Gene Expression in Prokaryotes and their Viruses
Chapter 20 Regulation of Gene Expression in Eukaryotes
Chapter 21 Genetic Control of Animal Development
Chapter 22 The Genetic Basis of Cancer
Chapter 23 Inheritance of Complex Traits
Chapter 24 Population Genetics
Chapter 25 Evolutionary Genetics
- New focus for this edition is Problem Solving.
- A new feature called Focus on Problem Solving is a box in each chapter that guides the student through the analysis and solution of a representative genetic problem. This is designed to teach the student a methodology for problem solving. We have chosen a problem that involves important material in the chapter. The box lists the facts and concepts that are relevant to the problem and then explains how to obtain the solution. Further discussion on the problem in included within WileyPLUS. (Compare to Griffiths “Unpacking the Problem”)
- GO Problems in WileyPLUS provide a step by step walk through of some of the most difficult end of chapter questions and problems in the book. Again these are intended to provide students with the tools for solving similar problems on their own.
Provides a balance between concepts and experimental detail, using experiments to help explain the “how” and “why” concepts were developed
Offers the human perspective on genetics, through numerous examples and pedagogical elements found in the text.
Features an excellent illustration program with many stepped-out figures. Also uses micrographs in conjunction with illustrations to show the “real” micrograph and “ideal” illustration together.
Includes a comprehensive set of problems and problem solving aids with all the tools necessary for successful student understanding of Genetics.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.