Helping Children Learn Mathematics, 9th Edition
December 2008, ©2009
2. Helping Children Learn Mathematics with Understanding
3. Planning and Teaching
4. Assessment: Enhanced Learning and Teaching
5. Processes of Doing Mathematics
6. Helping Children with Problem Solving
7. Counting and Number Sense in Early Childhood and Primary Grades
8. Extending Number Sense: Place Value
9. Operations: Meaning and Basic Facts
10. Computation Methods: Calculators, Mental Computation, and Estimation
11. Standard and Alternative Computational Algorithms
12. Fractions and Decimals: Meanings and Operations
13. Ratio, Proportion, and Percent: Meanings and Applications
14. Algebraic Thinking
17. Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability
18. Number Theory
- Chapter 18, Number Theory: this topic is now emphasized in many of the states' standards for elementary students.
- Updated coverage of NCTM Standards and Expectations, including discussions of the newly resleased Curriculum Focal Points.
- Focus Questions: point the way into each of the chapters.
- Cultural Connections: located near the end of most chapters, highlights differences in the mathematical experiences and performance of students from different countries.
- Equity: an important issue in mathematics classrooms is highlighted throughout the text. Many ways of providing for individual differences are discussed and illustrated.
- "In the Classroom" Activities: found throughout the text in special boxes, these activities provide a wealth of ideas and strategies for teaching children the topics of each chapter.
- "Things to Do" End of Chapter Activities: found near the end of each chapter, these sections embody the text's active learning and teaching approach to mathematics.
- Children's Literature: specific books are referenced at various points within the text and an annotated list of useful books is provided at the end of each chapter.
- Updated and streamlined research is referenced throughout the text.
- Technology tools and strategies are discussed and illustrated within the text. Math Link boxes within the chapters also highlight additional technology resources.