Business Statistics: Contemporary Decision Making, 6th Edition
December 2009, ©2010
At its foundation is a comprehensive and formulaic integration of problem solving through quality conceptual and practice questions. Well-written and energetic, Business Statistics, 6e enables professors to facilitate a highly successful, mathematically appropriate experience for all business statistics students.
The robust new 6th Edition offers an unparalleled Resource package that is fully integrated in WileyPLUS, which contains everything students need to achieve academic success: the full e-book, a dozen Video Tutorials, a Tree Taxonomy Diagram, improved visuals, problems, exercises, significantly upgraded algorithmic problems, and much more!
1 Introduction to Statistics.
2 Charts and Graphs.
3 Descriptive Statistics.
Unit II: Distributions and Sampling.
5 Discrete Distributions.
6 Continuous Distributions.
7 Sampling and Sampling Distributions.
Unit III: Making Inferences About Population Parameters.
8 Statistical Inference: Estimation for Single Populations.
9 Statistical Inference: Hypothesis Testing for Single Populations.
10 Statistical Inferences About Two Populations.
11 Analysis of Variance and Design of Experiments.
Unit IV: regression Analysis and Forecasting.
12 Simple Regression Analysis and Correlation.
13 Multiple Regression Analysis.
14 Building Multiple Regression Models.
15 Time-Series Forecasting and Index Numbers.
Unit V: Nonparametric Statistics and Quality.
16 Analysis of Categorical Data.
17 Nonparametric Statistics.
18 Statistical Quality Control.
B Answers to Selected Odd-Numbered Quantitative Problems.
Since joining the faculty of UHCL in 1979, Professor Black has taught all levels of statistics courses, forecasting, management science, market research, and production/operations management. In 2005, he was awarded the President's Distinguished teaching Award for the university. He has published over 20 journal articles and 20 professional papers, as well as two textbooks: Business Statistics: An Introductory Course and business Statistics for contemporary Decision Making. black has consulted for many different companies, including Aetna, the city of Houston, NYLCare, AT&T, Johnson Space center, Southwest Information Resources, Connect Corporation, and Eagle Engineering.
Ken Black and his wife, Carolyn, have two daughters, Caycee and Wendi, His hobbies include playing the guitar, reading, traveling, and running.
- Simple Regression Analysis and Correlation - Appears sooner in the text.
- By popular demand, Measures of Association is back in the Descriptive Statistics chapter so it can be taught alongside regression techniques!
- Chi-square and Non-parametric Statistics: Covered later in text to allow one-semester courses to flow uninterrupted and freely through all of the chapters uninterrupted and freely.
POPULAR TREE DIAGRAM tool reduced in size. This streamlining of Making Inferences about Population Parameters enables greater usability and readability of hypothesis techniques.
NEW AND IMPROVED VISUALS - Graphs, tables, and figures have been added throughout the text to effectively engage the student.
TWICE AS MANY “Statistics in Business Today” examples in each chapter.
REAL business contexts have been added to problems and exercises.
UPDATED Excel and Minitab databases.
The HTAB system - A new formulaic approach for problems and exercises. Based on the scientific method and similar to management approaches such as PDCA and DMAIC of Six Sigma.
- WileyPLUS - All end-of-chapter problems, 12 author videos, databases, and more!
- Author’s Video Tutorials – Created and delivered by Ken Black, these 12 sessions on key difficult topics are available in WileyPLUS.
- Decision Dilemma - Chapter-opening vignettes are brief business-world scenarios which use the techniques introduced in the chapter to solve a business decision dilemma.
- Decision Dilemma Solved - At the end of chapters, questions posed by the Decision Dilemma are addressed providing closure and reinforcing the information presented in that chapter
- Minitab and Excel - Both computer-generated outputs are displayed and explained in each chapter.
- Ethical Considerations - A feature in each chapter that integrates the topic of ethics with applications of business statistics.
- Five Units - Help professors teach and students see the connection between topics.
- Tree Taxonomy Diagrams - Further illustrate the connection between topics and techniques and the ability to see the big picture of inferential statistics.