Quantitative Reasoning: Tools for Today's Informed Citizen
June 2008, ©2007
Quantitative Reasoning: Tools for Today’s Informed Citizen helps students connect mathematics in the classroom with applications in the real world. Through a series of hands-on activities and explorations, the text empowers students by teaching them to apply quantitative reasoning skills to make informed decisions in their daily lives. Authors Alicia Sevilla and Kay Somers developed this engaging, activity-based text for students enrolled in an introductory-level, problem-based general education quantitative reasoning course. Technology is an essential component of the text, and it is integrated in Activities that use Microsoft® Excel or, alternatively, the TI-83/84 Plus graphing calculator. The use of technology helps students concentrate on ideas rather than computational details—allowing them to investigate significant and more realistic problems.
Activities Contents xiv
To the Students xxii
To the Instructor xxiv
Section I: Numerical Reasoning
Topic 1: Organizing Information Pictorially Using Charts and Graphs 3
Topic 2: Bivariate Data 29
Topic 3: Graphs of Functions 45
Topic 4: Multiple Variable Functions 69
Topic 5: Proportional, Linear, and Piecewise Linear Functions 85
Topic 6: Modeling with Linear and Exponential Functions 103
Topic 7: Logarithms and Scientific Notation 119
Topic 8: Indexes and Ratings 133
Topic 9: Personal Finances 151
Topic 10: Introduction to Problem Solving 169
Section II: Logical Reasoning
Topic 11: Decision Making 185
Topic 12: Inductive Reasoning 201
Topic 13: Deductive Reasoning 215
Topic 14: Apportionment 239
Topic 15: More on Problem Solving 255
Section III: Statistical Reasoning
Topic 16: Averages and Five-Number Summary 265
Topic 17: Standard Deviation, z-Score, and Normal Distributions 287
Topic 18: Basics of Probability 309
Topic 19: Conditional Probability and Tables 325
Topic 20: Sampling and Surveys 343
Topic 21: More on Decision Making 363
Excel Activities 377
Graphing Calculator Activities on the Student CD
Excel Commands by Activities
Resources on the Student CD
Excel Data Bank to Accompany Excel Activities
Selected Answers to Explorations
Graphing Calculator Activities
Graphing Calculator Commands by Activity
- Activity-based approach that encourages students to think critically about how math is used in the real world and to express their ideas with one another.
- Complete integration of technology improving students’ proficiency with MS Excel, the Internet, and the TI-83/84 Plus graphing calculator.
- Real data from print and electronic sources featured in problem solving, which helps students make the connection between the mathematics they learn and the issues they encounter in their daily lives.
- Clearly identified Objectives, worked-out Examples, and a Summary for each of the book’s 21 Topics help students focus their studies.
- Explorations at the end of each Topic present additional real-life applications for students to investigate.
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.