Symmetry, Shape, and Space: An Introduction to Mathematics Through Geometry
June 2008, ©2002
To the Reader.
1. The Basics.
2.2. Celtic Knots.
3.1. Ruler and Compass Constructions.
3.2. The Pentagon and the Golden Ratio.
3.3. Theoretical Origami.
3.4. Knots and Stars.
4.1. Regular and Semiregular Tilings.
4.2. Irregular Tilings.
4.3. Penrose Tilings.
5. Two-Dimensional Symmetry.
5.2. Rosette Groups: Point Symmetry.
5.3. Frieze Patterns: Line Symmetry.
5.4. Wallpaper Patterns: Plane Symmetry.
5.5. Islamic Lattice Patterns.
6. Other Dimensions, Other Worlds.
6.2. The Fourth Dimension.
7.1. Pyramids, Prisms, and Antiprisms.
7.2. The Platonic Solids.
7.3. The Archimedean Solids.
7.4. Polyhedral Transformations.
7.5. Models of Polyhedra.
7.6. Infinite Polyhedra.
8. Three-Dimensional Symmetry.
8.1. Symmetries of Polyhedra.
8.2. Three-Dimensional Kaleidoscopes.
9. Spiral Growth.
9.1. Spirals and Helices.
9.2. Fibonacci Numbers and Phyllotaxis.
10. Drawing Three Dimensions in Two.
10.2. Optical Illusions.
11.1. Noneuclidean Geometry.
11.2. Map Projections.
11.3. Curvature of Curves.
11.4. Curvature of Surfaces.
11.5. Soap Bubbles.
12. Graph Theory.
13.3. More About Surfaces.
13.4. Map Coloring Problems.
Hints and Solutions to Selected Problems.
Exercises and activities link students' intuitive and analytical capabilities
Each chapter essentially independent of the others, allowing flexibility in course design
Unique Table of Contents assured to intrigue and delight readers
Available bundled with The Geometer's Sketchpad
Perfect for students in the arts or pre-service education
- Wiley E-Texts are powered by VitalSource technologies e-book software.
- With Wiley E-Texts you can access your e-book how and where you want to study: Online, Download and Mobile.
- Wiley e-texts are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- WileyPLUS registration codes are NOT included with the Wiley E-Text. For informationon WileyPLUS, click here .
- To learn more about Wiley e-texts, please refer to our FAQ.
- E-books are offered as e-Pubs or PDFs. To download and read them, users must install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on their PC.
- E-books have DRM protection on them, which means only the person who purchases and downloads the e-book can access it.
- E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
- To learn more about our e-books, please refer to our FAQ.